    complication. thanks for listening and would appreciate an opinion.
    thanks
    kes

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=

    Patrice Guest

    Anyway it always execute compile code ? What are you seeing exactly ? Is it
    the first time you hit a page ? Or each time you access the page ?

    Patrice

    --

    "Kurt Schroeder" <> a écrit dans le
    message de news:...
    > does compiling the code behind source using studio give and performance

    boost?
    > this is a rephrase of an a question i posted yesterday. To be honist

    VS.net

    Patrice, Feb 8, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=

    Flip Guest

    I'm by no means an expert on this, but coming from JSPs and linux, I have a
    slightly different perspective than your typical MS/VB/Windows user.

    From what I've learned, everything is compiled as far as .net is concerned,
    to intermediate language (IL), and further compiled upon execution into
    executable code for Windows. On IIS, with ASPX, if things are slow, you
    might be dealing with a killed process. That's what I'm running into. One
    thing MS did to help stop DOS attacks, they kill the process if it's got no
    activity on it for 20m or something like that. Of course you can change it,
    or even disable it.

    re too much overhead
    JSPs are not that bad, but when you start adding in servlet (java's version
    of the code behind, I know, I know, it's not exactly the same, but
    sufficient for drawing parallels), and modifying the web.xml for every
    servlet addition is a pain too! And then when you add in the IDE (I'm using
    JB @ w) and then you have two code bases for multiple projects.....uh man it
    just gets complicated, and there's only so much ANT tasks can help to
    automate. Believe, me, I'm having more fun with VS @ h than I am with
    JB/java @ w.

    Good luck with it. Keep it up, it will reward you.

    Flip, Feb 8, 2005
  4. When you start two threads with the same question, you probably should post
    a followup to your original post. It makes it easier to reply. Plus if you
    question wasn't answered, follow up with us, and we will followup with you.

    Unless you have a rolling 12 hour post...

    bill

    William F. Robertson, Jr., Feb 8, 2005
  5. thanks for responding,
    I knew that the pages got compiled on the first hit. I was not asking about
    the first time hit or a specific page, but a general question. I hav elearned
    according to another post that there is no difference once the source is
    compiled first hit by a Browser. The over-head issue was a question about the
    VisualStudio.Net development environment. It seems to add a lot more
    complacation than apears necessary. for example the class creates Private
    Subs for the general controls such as buttons and links. That's ok, but it
    gets me a little confussed because the same automatic subs are not generated
    for some other objects like DataGrid Events. And here the subs need to be
    declared as not private. I'm guessing there is a ways to do this correctly,
    but i still don't know how.

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005
  6. please see my reply to Patrice.
    And Thanks for responding.
    If i may ask how do you declare a sub for a datagrid event as private? All
    the subs generated by VS.NET are but gatagrid events ar enot autogenerated.
    thanks
    kes

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005
  7. saw your posting from early this morning, thanks you. comment noted.

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Hi, Kurt.

    As others have already expressed, there's
    very little or no performance boost, except
    for a very minimal one for the first user.

    I understand your point about
    VS.NET being a lot of overhead.

    Nevertheless, some of its features are essential
    if you don't want to spend years developing an app.

    Intellisense, integrated debugging, point-and-shoot property
    settings, integrated help with F1, and many other features,
    like deployment projects, integrated source code management,
    etc., make VS.NET the tool of choice for developing .NET apps,
    ASP.NET included.

    For small-project developers who just want to be
    able to create websites, and who don't need the
    enterprise features built into VS.NET, Microsoft
    is releasing Visual Web Developer, which is like
    VS.NET, but geared only for ASP.NET development.

    You might find it worthwhile to
    start familiarizing yourself with it.

    It's way above Web Matrix, which it substitutes.

    The release of ASP.NET 2.0 is not too far away,
    so this is the right time to start checking out VWD.

    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    =====================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 8, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=

    Patrice Guest

    So this is not a performance problem ?

    Granted there are some plumbing going on behind the scene but it should
    really show up only on rare occasions and is likely needed.

    ..NET also creates some code to perform actions done "visually" (is this
    those private subs you are talking about or do yu mean protected variable
    declarations ?). I don't see those "need to be declared as *not* private"
    procedures you are talking about. AFAIK subs handling datagrid events are
    private and you have to write them ???..

    You may want to give us a precise sample of the code you are referring to...

    ASP.NET 2.0 should still hide a bit more of this plumbing (such as having a
    declaration in the ASPX page doesn' t require to have a programmatic
    declaration in the code behind + DataSource controls are not creating code
    etc...).

    Patrice

    --

    "Kurt Schroeder" <> a écrit dans le
    message de news:...
    > thanks for responding,
    > I knew that the pages got compiled on the first hit. I was not asking

    about
    > the first time hit or a specific page, but a general question. I hav

    elearned
    > according to another post that there is no difference once the source is
    > compiled first hit by a Browser. The over-head issue was a question about

    the
    > VisualStudio.Net development environment. It seems to add a lot more
    > complacation than apears necessary. for example the class creates Private
    > Subs for the general controls such as buttons and links. That's ok, but it
    > gets me a little confussed because the same automatic subs are not

    generated
    > for some other objects like DataGrid Events. And here the subs need to be
    > declared as not private. I'm guessing there is a ways to do this

    correctly,
    > but i still don't know how.
    >
    > "Patrice" wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway it always execute compile code ? What are you seeing exactly ? Is

    it
    > > the first time you hit a page ? Or each time you access the page ?
    > >
    > > Patrice
    > >
    > > --

    le

    Patrice, Feb 8, 2005
  10. thanks again, and i have a question,
    VS. net auto defines the subs as private in created class. How can sub
    created manuelly be declared as private, or should they not be? Reason i'm
    asking is that vs.net does not create subs based on events raised by a
    datagrid.
    thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005
  11. this is a running discussion so i apologize if question s appear more than
    once.
    and some answers also:
    this is a a simple sub declaration to do a sort

    Private Sub SortGrid(ByVal objSender As Object, ByVal objArgs As
    DataGridSortCommandEventArgs) Handles dgrdStkHst.SortCommand
    Call bindDataGrid("stkhstX")
    End Sub
    It give me this error when run: 'INDEXBUILDDaily._try.Private Sub
    SortGrid(objSender As Object, objArgs As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventArgs)' is not accessible in
    this context because it is 'Private'.
    if not declared private it runs and calls a sub that is private. I seems to
    me that it should be declared as private, but i really don't know that much
    (i mean it).
    well, even when it does run the datagrid disappears. I can get ti to sort,
    but only if i do it seprate from the data grid using a button control, ...

    for now i'd just be happy to figure why it does not want to be declared
    private
    thanks
    kes

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005
  12. Private subs mean they can only be called from inside the class, in this
    case your page class. Typically you will only call events for an WebControl
    on the page that it is on, so them being private is okay.

    I am a C# guy, but I created a vb web application. I was able to use VS.Net
    to generate stubs for DataGrid events.

    From the codebehind screen, you should see two drop down lists across the
    top of your code. Pull the first one down, and you should see you DataGrid.
    Select it.

    It will change the second one, the one on the right. It will have a list of
    DataGrid events. Drop that list down and select the event you want to
    handle. It will generate your stub for you.

    If you want to create it manually, you will have to type it all out, pretty
    much exactly as the generated code looks like.

    HTH,

    > thanks again, and i have a question,
    > VS. net auto defines the subs as private in created class. How can sub
    > created manuelly be declared as private, or should they not be? Reason i'm
    > asking is that vs.net does not create subs based on events raised by a
    > datagrid.
    > thank you
    >
    > "William F. Robertson, Jr." wrote:
    >
    > > When you start two threads with the same question, you probably should

    post
    > > a followup to your original post. It makes it easier to reply. Plus if

    you
    > > question wasn't answered, follow up with us, and we will followup with

    you.

    > > Unless you have a rolling 12 hour post...
    > >
    > > bill
    > >
    > > "Kurt Schroeder" <> wrote in

    message

    William F. Robertson, Jr., Feb 8, 2005
  13. thank you very much!!!
    kes

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=, Feb 8, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?=

    Patrice Guest

    Do you use System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid ? Or do you use a grid that
    inherits from this grid ?

    Patrice

    --

    "Kurt Schroeder" <> a écrit dans le
    message de news:D...
    > this is a running discussion so i apologize if question s appear more than
    > once.
    > and some answers also:
    > this is a a simple sub declaration to do a sort
    >
    > Private Sub SortGrid(ByVal objSender As Object, ByVal objArgs As
    > DataGridSortCommandEventArgs) Handles dgrdStkHst.SortCommand
    > Call bindDataGrid("stkhstX")
    > End Sub
    > It give me this error when run: 'INDEXBUILDDaily._try.Private Sub
    > SortGrid(objSender As Object, objArgs As
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventArgs)' is not accessible

    in
    > this context because it is 'Private'.
    > if not declared private it runs and calls a sub that is private. I seems

    > me that it should be declared as private, but i really don't know that

    much
    > (i mean it).
    > well, even when it does run the datagrid disappears. I can get ti to sort,
    > but only if i do it seprate from the data grid using a button control, ...
    >
    > for now i'd just be happy to figure why it does not want to be declared
    > private
    > thanks
    > kes
    > "Patrice" wrote:
    >
    > > So this is not a performance problem ?
    > >
    > > Granted there are some plumbing going on behind the scene but it should
    > > really show up only on rare occasions and is likely needed.
    > >
    > > ..NET also creates some code to perform actions done "visually" (is this
    > > those private subs you are talking about or do yu mean protected

    variable
    > > declarations ?). I don't see those "need to be declared as *not*

    private"
    > > procedures you are talking about. AFAIK subs handling datagrid events

    are
    > > private and you have to write them ???..
    > >
    > > You may want to give us a precise sample of the code you are referring

    to...

    > > ASP.NET 2.0 should still hide a bit more of this plumbing (such as

    having a
    > > declaration in the ASPX page doesn' t require to have a programmatic
    > > declaration in the code behind + DataSource controls are not creating

    code
    > > etc...).
    > >

    > > Patrice
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > "Kurt Schroeder" <> a écrit dans

    le
    > > message de news:...
    > > > thanks for responding,
    > > > I knew that the pages got compiled on the first hit. I was not asking

    > > about
    > > > the first time hit or a specific page, but a general question. I hav

    > > elearned
    > > > according to another post that there is no difference once the source

    is
    > > > compiled first hit by a Browser. The over-head issue was a question

    about
    > > the
    > > > VisualStudio.Net development environment. It seems to add a lot more
    > > > complacation than apears necessary. for example the class creates

    Private
    > > > Subs for the general controls such as buttons and links. That's ok,

    but it
    > > > gets me a little confussed because the same automatic subs are not

    > > generated
    > > > for some other objects like DataGrid Events. And here the subs need to

    be
    > > > declared as not private. I'm guessing there is a ways to do this

    > > correctly,
    > > > but i still don't know how.

    ? Is
    > > it