    *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1

    how can i resolve this problem?
    Many many thanks in advance.

    M.Caggiano, Feb 3, 2008

  2. M.Caggiano

    Flash Gordon Guest

    M.Caggiano wrote, On 03/02/08 11:59:
    > I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    > compilation:
    >
    > *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >
    > how can i resolve this problem?
    > Many many thanks in advance.

    The first thing to do is correct your assumption that the function is
    without errors. You obviously have an error somewhere or you would not
    get an error reported. Then consider how *anyone* is supposed to guess
    what the problem is based on what you posted.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Feb 3, 2008

  3. In article <-gordon.me.uk>,
    Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    >M.Caggiano wrote, On 03/02/08 11:59:
    >> I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    >> compilation:
    >>
    >> *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >>
    >> how can i resolve this problem?
    >> Many many thanks in advance.

    >The first thing to do is correct your assumption that the function is
    >without errors. You obviously have an error somewhere or you would not
    >get an error reported. Then consider how *anyone* is supposed to guess
    >what the problem is based on what you posted.
    >--
    >Flash Gordon

    So helpful. So sweet. So kind.

    Fine example of modern US civility. A beacon for us all.

    Kenny McCormack, Feb 3, 2008
  4. M.Caggiano wrote:
    > I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    > compilation:
    >
    > *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >
    > how can i resolve this problem?

    Read the compiler / linker manual to find out what "error 1" is.
    This looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 3, 2008
  5. On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:28:42 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > M.Caggiano wrote:
    >> I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    >> compilation:
    >>
    >> *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >>
    >> how can i resolve this problem?

    > Read the compiler / linker manual to find out what "error 1" is. This
    > looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    Doesn't look like a linker error to me. It looks like there's an error
    reported by make or a similar build tool in generating
    .../Socket/Client/Client.o, which is typically the job of the compiler,
    not the linker. I don't know why the OP didn't bother to post an actually
    useful error message though.

    Harald van Dijk, Feb 3, 2008
  6. M.Caggiano

    M.Caggiano Guest

    On 3 Feb, 13:22, Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    > M.Caggiano wrote, On 03/02/08 11:59:
    >
    > > I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    > > compilation:

    > > *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1

    > > how can i resolve this problem?
    > > Many many thanks in advance.

    > The first thing to do is correct your assumption that the function is
    > without errors. You obviously have an error somewhere or you would not
    > get an error reported. Then consider how *anyone* is supposed to guess
    > what the problem is based on what you posted.
    > --
    > Flash Gordon

    The only error of the function is that.
    I don't know whether to also think because the message is enough
    vague.
    Thanks the same.

    M.Caggiano, Feb 3, 2008
  7. In article <cca3e$47a5ea29$541dfcd3$1.nb.home.nl>,
    =?UTF-8?q?Harald_van_D=C4=B3k?= <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:28:42 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >> M.Caggiano wrote:
    >>> I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    >>> compilation:

    >>> *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1

    >> Read the compiler / linker manual to find out what "error 1" is. This
    >> looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    >Doesn't look like a linker error to me. It looks like there's an error
    >reported by make or a similar build tool in generating
    >../Socket/Client/Client.o,

    I would agree. "Error 1" is make's typical error report after
    a problem in the previous step, whether that step be a compile or link.
    It is what "make" reports for the majority of situations in which
    the previous step returned a non-success error code. The actual
    problem would have appeared above that.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 3, 2008
  8. Mark McIntyre said:

    <snip>

    > This looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    Linking is Translation Phase 8, a very important part of the translation
    process for C programs. It is lots to do with C.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Feb 3, 2008
  9. Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Mark McIntyre said:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> This looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    > Linking is Translation Phase 8, a very important part of the translation
    > process for C programs. It is lots to do with C.

    Read what I wrote more carefully.

    While "linking" is something to do with C, the linker is not. The linker
    is a language-neutral tool that performs the action of linking.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 3, 2008
  10. Harald van Dijk wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:28:42 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >> M.Caggiano wrote:
    >>> I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    >>> compilation:
    >>>
    >>> *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >>>
    >>> how can i resolve this problem?

    >> Read the compiler / linker manual to find out what "error 1" is. This
    >> looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    > Doesn't look like a linker error to me. It looks like there's an error
    > reported by make or a similar build tool in generating

    You may be right, but my crystal ball isn't up to devining anything
    better than "user claims no bugs in C code, but still gets error,
    possible error in the next step of creating an executable"...

    > ../Socket/Client/Client.o, which is typically the job of the compiler,
    > not the linker.

    it could equally well be a problem /reading/ that object in order to
    link it. The OP removed all useful context...

    I don't know why the OP didn't bother to post an actually
    > useful error message though.

    I suspect its the usual reason - he snipped what he thought was
    irrelevant but didn't know enough about the problem to get that snippage
    right.

    To the OP: post more detail...
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 3, 2008
  11. M.Caggiano wrote:
    > The only error of the function is that.

    You typed
    gcc myfile.c

    and that was the only output?????

    > I don't know whether to also think because the message is enough
    > vague.

    You need to post more detail...

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 3, 2008
  12. Harald van Dijk <> writes:
    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:28:42 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >> M.Caggiano wrote:
    >>> I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    >>> compilation:
    >>>
    >>> *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >>>
    >>> how can i resolve this problem?

    >> Read the compiler / linker manual to find out what "error 1" is. This
    >> looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    > Doesn't look like a linker error to me. It looks like there's an error
    > reported by make or a similar build tool in generating
    > ../Socket/Client/Client.o, which is typically the job of the compiler,
    > not the linker. I don't know why the OP didn't bother to post an actually
    > useful error message though.

    It's hard to tell, but most tools I've seen report the name of the
    *input* file in an error message. If the error message referred to
    "../Socket/Client/Client.c", I'd assume a compile-time error; given
    the reference to "Client.o", it's probably a link-time error.

    Though it's conceivable that there was an error *writing* Client.o.

    (I'm also assuming that the ".o" suffix denotes an object file, the
    output of the compiler; this is not 100% certain, but I think it's a
    safe bet, especially given that the form of the path implies a
    Unix-like system.)

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <>
    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Feb 3, 2008
  13. "M.Caggiano" <> writes:
    > I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    > compilation:
    >
    > *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1
    >
    > how can i resolve this problem?
    > Many many thanks in advance.

    First of all, it's important to copy-and-paste the *exact* error
    message. Whatever tool produced the message, I suspect it actually
    printed "Error 1", not "Error1". This may seem like a trivial point,
    but we can't guess what other errors you may have inadvertently
    produced when you re-typed the message.

    As it happens, the form of the error message looks familiar; it
    appears to be from the GNU "make" command, and it indicates that
    *some* command, intended to create the file
    "../Socket/Client/Client.o", failed with a status code of 1. Most
    likely that command was the compiler. Normally you should have seen
    the compiler's output just before the message you quoted. The most
    likely explanations are (a) you've failed to show us the relevant
    output (without which we can't possibly guess what the problem is), or
    (b) the make command was invoked in such a way that it discarded the
    compiler's diagnostic output (which would be an odd thing to do).

    You seem to be assuming that you've written a function without errors;
    since you're getting an error message, that seems unlikely. Look for
    error messages from the compiler. Look at your Makefile and at the
    way you're invoking the "make" command to be sure that it's letting
    you see any messages from the compiler.

    For help with using make, post to comp.unix.programmer. If you can
    see the compiler's output, pay attention to the messages; if they
    indicate a problem in your C source, and you have trouble correcting
    it, post here with more details. If the problem has to do with a
    system-specific feature, rather than with the core C language and
    library, we might redirect you; in particular, sockets are not part of
    standard C, and can be discussed in comp.unix.programmer.

    You might also want to read this:
    <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.

    Keith Thompson, Feb 3, 2008
  14. Keith Thompson <> writes:
    > Harald van Dijk <> writes:

    >>> Read the compiler / linker manual to find out what "error 1" is. This
    >>> looks more like a linker error, by the way - nothing to do with C.

    >> Doesn't look like a linker error to me. It looks like there's an error
    >> reported by make or a similar build tool in generating
    >> ../Socket/Client/Client.o, which is typically the job of the compiler,
    >> not the linker. I don't know why the OP didn't bother to post an actually
    >> useful error message though.

    > It's hard to tell, but most tools I've seen report the name of the
    > *input* file in an error message. If the error message referred to
    > "../Socket/Client/Client.c", I'd assume a compile-time error; given
    > the reference to "Client.o", it's probably a link-time error.

    It appears that I was mistaken. I realized after I wrote the above
    that ``make'' *does* report the name of the output file in its error
    messages. See my other followup for more details.

    Keith Thompson, Feb 3, 2008
  15. M.Caggiano

    Morris Dovey Guest

    "M.Caggiano" wrote:

    > ---ATTENTION---
    > Problem resolved boys!!
    > Thanks to everybody.
    > Now however I will open a new discussion from the title "Socket: bind
    > error...why??"

    Excellent! Please tell us what the problem was and how you
    resolved it.

    news:comp.unix.programmer would be a much better forum for
    discussion of networking code.

    --
    Morris Dovey
    DeSoto Solar

    Morris Dovey, Feb 3, 2008
  16. M.Caggiano

    M.Caggiano Guest

    On 3 Feb, 21:38, Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    > "M.Caggiano" <> writes:
    > > I've write a function without errors but i've this message after
    > > compilation:

    > > *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error1

    > > how can i resolve this problem?
    > > Many many thanks in advance.

    > First of all, it's important to copy-and-paste the *exact* error
    > message. Whatever tool produced the message, I suspect it actually
    > printed "Error 1", not "Error1". This may seem like a trivial point,
    > but we can't guess what other errors you may have inadvertently
    > produced when you re-typed the message.
    >
    > As it happens, the form of the error message looks familiar; it
    > appears to be from the GNU "make" command, and it indicates that
    > *some* command, intended to create the file
    > "../Socket/Client/Client.o", failed with a status code of 1. Most
    > likely that command was the compiler. Normally you should have seen
    > the compiler's output just before the message you quoted. The most
    > likely explanations are (a) you've failed to show us the relevant
    > output (without which we can't possibly guess what the problem is), or
    > (b) the make command was invoked in such a way that it discarded the
    > compiler's diagnostic output (which would be an odd thing to do).
    >
    > You seem to be assuming that you've written a function without errors;
    > since you're getting an error message, that seems unlikely. Look for
    > error messages from the compiler. Look at your Makefile and at the
    > way you're invoking the "make" command to be sure that it's letting
    > you see any messages from the compiler.
    >
    > For help with using make, post to comp.unix.programmer. If you can
    > see the compiler's output, pay attention to the messages; if they
    > indicate a problem in your C source, and you have trouble correcting
    > it, post here with more details. If the problem has to do with a
    > system-specific feature, rather than with the core C language and
    > library, we might redirect you; in particular, sockets are not part of
    > standard C, and can be discussed in comp.unix.programmer.
    >
    > You might also want to read this:
    > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.
    >
    > --
    > Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <>
    > Nokia

    Thank's for your answer.
    This is the c code:

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <string.h>
    #include <winsock.h>
    #include <windows.h>

    void err_fatal(char *);
    int readn(SOCKET, char *, int);

    main()
    {
    /* apertura connessione lato client */
    int taddr_n, tport_n;
    struct sockaddr_in saddr;
    int result;
    char buffer[1024]; // buffer

    SOCKET s;
    WSADATA data; // inizializzo la variabile che contiene le primitive
    di Winsock
    WORD p;
    int err=0;
    p=MAKEWORD(2,0); // creo la variabile p che contiene la versione
    della wsock32.dll
    err=WSAStartup(p,&data); // inizializzo la wsock32.dll verificandone
    la mancanza di errori

    /* creazione socket */
    s=socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,IPPROTO_TCP);
    if(s==INVALID_SOCKET) err_fatal("socket() failed!");
    printf("Creazione socket riuscita\n");
    printf("\nConnessione...\n");

    //taddr_n=inet_addr("130.192.3.45"); /* restituisce l'indirizzo in
    ordine di rete */
    //tport_n=htons(25);
    taddr_n=inet_addr("127.0.0.1");
    tport_n=htons(1037);

    saddr.sin_family=AF_INET;
    saddr.sin_port=tport_n;
    saddr.sin_addr.s_addr=taddr_n;

    result=connect(s,(struct sockaddr*) &saddr,sizeof(struct sockaddr));
    if(result==-1) err_fatal("connect() failed!");

    /* Riceve un messaggio */
    if((readn(s,buffer,sizeof(buffer)))==0) err_fatal("read() failed!");

    /* Stampa il messaggio ricevuto */
    printf("Ho ricevuto: %s\n",buffer);

    system("pause");

    /* Chiude i socket */
    WSACleanup();
    closesocket(s);
    }

    /* stampa errore */
    void err_fatal(char *mes)
    {
    printf("%s, errno=%d\n",mes,WSAGetLastError());
    perror("");
    system("pause");
    exit(1);
    }

    /* lettura di n byte */
    int readn(SOCKET s, char *ptr, int len)
    {
    int nread;
    nread=recv(s,ptr,len,0);
    return nread;
    }

    it's a simply program that uses the "socket" to communicate with a
    server.
    Made the compilation the ONLY error(Any Warning, any other error!!)
    that I have it is:

    *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error 1

    The compiler that I use is the Dev-C++.
    The description of the error is simply this: without other number
    codes or various comments.
    I know that the description is "vague": in fact doesn't help a lot me
    to resolve the problem!

    This is everything.

    M.Caggiano, Feb 3, 2008
  17. M.Caggiano

    M.Caggiano Guest

    On 3 Feb, 22:24, "M.Caggiano" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > perror("");
    > system("pause");
    > exit(1);
    >
    > }
    >
    > /* lettura di n byte */
    > int readn(SOCKET s, char *ptr, int len)
    > {
    > int nread;
    > nread=recv(s,ptr,len,0);
    > return nread;
    >
    > }
    >
    > it's a simply program that uses the "socket" to communicate with a
    > server.
    > Made the compilation the ONLY error(Any Warning, any other error!!)
    > that I have it is:
    >
    > *** ["../Socket/Client/Client.o"] Error 1
    >
    > The compiler that I use is the Dev-C++.
    > The description of the error is simply this: without other number
    > codes or various comments.
    > I know that the description is "vague": in fact doesn't help a lot me

    A last precise statement: it needs to linking the project with:
    "libws2_32.a"
    Otherwise the compiler doesn't recognize any necessary functions for
    the use of the sockets.

    M.Caggiano, Feb 3, 2008
  19. M.Caggiano

    M.Caggiano Guest

    On 3 Feb, 22:09, Morris Dovey <> wrote:
    > "M.Caggiano" wrote:
    >
    > > ---ATTENTION---
    > > Problem resolved boys!!
    > > Thanks to everybody.
    > > Now however I will open a new discussion from the title "Socket: bind
    > > error...why??"

    > Excellent! Please tell us what the problem was and how you
    > resolved it.
    >
    > news:comp.unix.programmer would be a much better forum for
    > discussion of networking code.
    >
    > --
    > Morris Dovey
    > DeSoto Solar
    > DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

    I have not exactly understood sincerely the motive for this type of
    error.
    The solution has been banal: have simply revolved the obstacle!

    Have recopied the whole code in a new file contained in a new project
    and once compiled....... any error!

    I don't have idea of the why.
    Do you succeed in explaining you him?

    M.Caggiano, Feb 3, 2008
  20. M.Caggiano wrote:

    (snip unix-specific sockets code)

    > This is everything.

    Not quite everything - you forgot to explain how you're compiling, what
    flags you passed to the compiler and linker etc.

    By the way, the code is very unix-like. You may have much more luck in
    comp.unix.programming. Or a Dev-C++ newsgroup.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 3, 2008