compiler for Xilinx Spartan 1 (XCS) family

Stephan Mueller

Hi,

I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx ISE
version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.

Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?

Regards,
Stephan

Guenter Dannoritzer

Hi,

Stephan said:
Hi,

I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx ISE
version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.

Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?

Regards,
Stephan

You are probably looking for a synthesis tool? That is a bit tricky.
Xilinx has what they call the ISE classic version, which can be
downloaded for free from the Xilinx web site. As far as I remember this
version does not have yet the Xilinx synthesis tool (XST) that comes
with the current ISE or WebPack. Rather it relies on a third party
synthesis tool, which you need to buy from companies like Synopsis or
Mentor.

I was looking into that too and hoping that maybe Icarus Verilog would
support it, as it says that it can do synthesis. I posted a question to
the fpga newsgroup a couple of months ago and got this answer from
Stephen Williams, the developor of Icarus:

http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&[email protected]

It sounds like it should work, but I did not try it myself.

Guenter

Dave Higton

In message <[email protected]>
Guenter Dannoritzer said:
Hi,

You are probably looking for a synthesis tool? That is a bit tricky.
Xilinx has what they call the ISE classic version, which can be
downloaded for free from the Xilinx web site. As far as I remember this
version does not have yet the Xilinx synthesis tool (XST) that comes
with the current ISE or WebPack. Rather it relies on a third party
synthesis tool, which you need to buy from companies like Synopsis or
Mentor.

Spartan 1 support was with the Synopsys ExpressVHDL synthesis tool,
which Xilinx stopped distributing. XST supports Spartan 2 onwards.
Support for earlier families won't be added; Spartan 1 is not for
new designs.

You may be able to buy a license for a suitable synthesis tool, but
it won't be cheap.

Dave

Jeremy Webb

Stephan Mueller said:
Hi,

I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx ISE
version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.

Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?

Regards,
Stephan
You need to download ISE Classics from the Xilinx Website. Do a
search on Xilinx' site and look for ISE Classics?

Later,

Jeremy

rickman

Jeremy said:
You need to download ISE Classics from the Xilinx Website. Do a
search on Xilinx' site and look for ISE Classics?

That will get him the back end tools, but not the compiler.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

(e-mail address removed)
removed.

4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX