    Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?

    Regards,
    Stephan

    Stephan Mueller, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Stephan Mueller wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
    > cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx ISE
    > version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.
    >
    > Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Stephan

    You are probably looking for a synthesis tool? That is a bit tricky.
    Xilinx has what they call the ISE classic version, which can be
    downloaded for free from the Xilinx web site. As far as I remember this
    version does not have yet the Xilinx synthesis tool (XST) that comes
    with the current ISE or WebPack. Rather it relies on a third party
    synthesis tool, which you need to buy from companies like Synopsis or
    Mentor.

    I was looking into that too and hoping that maybe Icarus Verilog would
    support it, as it says that it can do synthesis. I posted a question to
    the fpga newsgroup a couple of months ago and got this answer from
    Stephen Williams, the developor of Icarus:

    http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&selm=2f2c4$4134fbe4$40695902$

    It sounds like it should work, but I did not try it myself.

    Guenter

    Guenter Dannoritzer, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Stephan Mueller

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <clbngk$5fp$00$-online.com>
    Guenter Dannoritzer <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Stephan Mueller wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
    > > cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx
    > > ISE version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.
    > >
    > > Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Stephan
    > >

    > You are probably looking for a synthesis tool? That is a bit tricky.
    > Xilinx has what they call the ISE classic version, which can be
    > downloaded for free from the Xilinx web site. As far as I remember this
    > version does not have yet the Xilinx synthesis tool (XST) that comes
    > with the current ISE or WebPack. Rather it relies on a third party
    > synthesis tool, which you need to buy from companies like Synopsis or
    > Mentor.

    Spartan 1 support was with the Synopsys ExpressVHDL synthesis tool,
    which Xilinx stopped distributing. XST supports Spartan 2 onwards.
    Support for earlier families won't be added; Spartan 1 is not for
    new designs.

    You may be able to buy a license for a suitable synthesis tool, but
    it won't be cheap.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Stephan Mueller

    Jeremy Webb Guest

    "Stephan Mueller" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
    > cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx ISE
    > version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.
    >
    > Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Stephan

    You need to download ISE Classics from the Xilinx Website. Do a
    search on Xilinx' site and look for ISE Classics?

    Later,

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Webb, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Stephan Mueller

    rickman Guest

    Jeremy Webb wrote:

    > "Stephan Mueller" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I found some old Spartan 1 FPGA at a local distributor, who are pretty
    > > cheap. But I don't have a compiler for these FPGAs, because the Xilinx ISE
    > > version 5 and 6 don't support them any more.
    > >
    > > Does anybody know, if there is still a compiler available?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Stephan

    > You need to download ISE Classics from the Xilinx Website. Do a
    > search on Xilinx' site and look for ISE Classics?

    That will get him the back end tools, but not the compiler.

    --

    Rick "rickman" Collins

    removed.

    4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
    Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX

    rickman, Oct 23, 2004