compiler front-end

Discussion in 'C++' started by vaib, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. vaib

    vaib Guest

    hi all ,

    I am willing to write a compiler front-end for my semester
    project . I am studying compilers in my present semester and I am
    following the Dragon Book for the theory and Allen I. Holub's Compiler
    Design in C for the _actual stuff_ .
    .. Although I must admit that as of now I am not able to make out
    much out of Holub's book since I am not through with the theory yet
    but I have come to understand that it would be much easier to go
    through it once I complete the theory . As of now I am almost done
    with the front-end theory and so I want to design a compiler front-end
    ( lexer and parser ) .
    Now there are certain issues that i am facing . First of all,
    I need to have a grammar so that I would know what all terminals
    ( tokens ) I have to use . This would be required for the design of
    the lexer . Having the grammar would also solve many issues regarding
    the parser too .
    Can anyone suggest me a simple context-free grammar ? I'd
    highly appreciate it . I would also stick to this thread for any other
    issues that I face while designing the front-end .
    Thanking in anticipation . Vaib .

    vaib, Nov 18, 2008