    files possible.
    Can someone who has faced this problem earlier,share their solutions?
    Thanks in advance.
    eminemence, Dec 10, 2007

  2. eminemence

    Sarath Guest

    Re: : How to solve this one?

    On Dec 10, 4:11 pm, eminemence <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am getting this strange and nearly unsolvable error in VS 6.
    > The project has some thousands of files,so adding some code sample
    > here is out of question.
    > I have checked on the extern "C" bracket completion on most of the
    > files possible.
    > Can someone who has faced this problem earlier,share their solutions?
    > Thanks in advance.

    What's the error you've got?
    Sarath, Dec 10, 2007

  3. eminemence

    eminemence Guest

    Re: : How to solve this one?

    fatal error C1045: compiler limit : linkage specifications nested too
    deeply

    eminemence, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Re: : How to solve this one?

    In message
    <>,
    eminemence <> writes

    [Please don't top-post - response moved to its proper place]

    >On Dec 10, 12:14 pm, Sarath <> wrote:
    >> On Dec 10, 4:11 pm, eminemence <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi all,
    >> > I am getting this strange and nearly unsolvable error in VS 6.
    >> > The project has some thousands of files,so adding some code sample
    >> > here is out of question.
    >> > I have checked on the extern "C" bracket completion on most of the
    >> > files possible.
    >> > Can someone who has faced this problem earlier,share their solutions?
    >> > Thanks in advance.

    >> What's the error you've got?

    >fatal error C1045: compiler limit : linkage specifications nested too
    >deeply

    Well, that's clear enough. Typing that phrase into Google yields this
    explanation:

    (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa229004(VS.60).aspx)

    "The nesting of externals exceeded the capacity of the compiler. Nested
    externals are allowed when specifying the external linkage type (such as
    extern C++).

    Make sure that nested externals have appropriate closing braces."

    In other words, what the compiler is seeing is this:

    extern "C" {
    extern "C" {
    extern "C" {
    extern "C" {
    // ...declarations

    instead of this:

    extern "C" {
    //
    }
    extern "C" {
    //
    }
    extern "C" {
    //
    }
    extern "C" {
    //
    }
    //...

    I'd guess that your 'extern "C" bracket completion' (whatever that is)
    is probably in the wrong place in your headers relative to the nested
    #includes, so it's wrapping around more code than you intended.

    --
    Richard Herring
    Richard Herring, Dec 10, 2007
  5. eminemence

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Re: [Compiler limit : linkage specifications nested too deeply] : How to solve this one?

    eminemence <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I am getting this strange and nearly unsolvable error in VS 6.
    >The project has some thousands of files,so adding some code sample
    >here is out of question.

    You need folks who know the Visual C++ compiler. They hang out in the
    microsoft.public.vc.* hierarchy. You might start with
    microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt