compiler nightmares

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Pradyut, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Pradyut

    Pradyut Guest

    Pradyut, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Pradyut wrote:
    > on running this program on some linux versions, it does not compile
    > bcc test.cpp
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > #include <iostream.h>
    > using namespace std;
    > int main()
    > {
    > std::cout <<"test";
    > return 0;
    > }
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > any suggestions

    Try comp.lang.c++ down the hall.

    --
    Peter
    Peter Nilsson, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Pradyut wrote:
    > on running this program on some linux versions, it does not compile
    > bcc test.cpp
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > #include <iostream.h>
    > using namespace std;
    > int main()
    > {
    > std::cout <<"test";
    > return 0;
    > }
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > any suggestions

    Ask your question to a c++ newsgroup or the newsgroup of the compiler
    you
    are using.

    Krishanu
    Krishanu Debnath, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Pradyut wrote:

    > on running this program on some linux versions, it does not compile
    > bcc test.cpp
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > #include <iostream.h>
    > using namespace std;

    This is not C.

    > int main()
    > {
    > std::cout <<"test";

    Neither is this.

    > return 0;
    > }
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > any suggestions
    > thanks

    Try asking about C in this newsgroup or try a C++ newsgroup.

    Peter
    Peter Pichler, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Pradyut

    PRadyut Guest

    sorry there
    but some considerations could be nice
    thanks
    Pradyut
    PRadyut, Aug 12, 2005
  6. "PRadyut" <> writes:
    > sorry there
    > but some considerations could be nice
    > thanks
    > Pradyut

    Are you saying that people were rude to you? They really weren't.
    Three different people gave you the best possible advice. What
    "considerations" are you looking for? Or did I misunderstand you?
    I've seen people flamed for off-topic posts; believe me, you weren't.

    And here's some more advice. Please provide some context when you
    post a followup; don't assume that readers can easily see the article
    to which you're replying. groups.google.com gives you an interface
    that's very different from the ones most of us use (and in some ways,
    it's inferior).

    Keith Thompson, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Pradyut wrote:
    > on running this program on some linux versions, it does not compile
    > bcc test.cpp

    Your filename and your code seem to C++, not C. For that different
    language, optimized for obfuscation, go to comp.lang.c++, but check
    their FAQ and follow the newsgroup first (as you should have done before
    posting to comp.lang.c) and fix
    > #include <iostream.h>

    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    The header name in C++ is <iostream> (and neither it nor <iostream.h>
    exists in C).
    Martin Ambuhl, Aug 12, 2005
  8. PRadyut wrote:
    > sorry there
    > but some considerations could be nice

    I agree. Some considerations that would be nice are
    a) to follow a newsgroup before posting to a newsgroup
    b) to check the FAQ before posting to a newsgroup
    and
    c) to post questions to a newsgroup only if on-topic.

    You have gotten several polite recommendations that you ask your
    questions about C++ in the C++ newsgroup, comp.lang.c++. Those who
    suggested that to you have shown you great consideration, while you
    showed none at all to us.
    Martin Ambuhl, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Pradyut wrote:
    > ---------------------------------------
    > #include <iostream.h>
    > using namespace std;
    > int main()
    > {
    > std::cout <<"test";
    > return 0;
    > }
    >
    > any suggestions

    Yeah, start thinking and try to find some answers yourself *before*
    posting questions to the *wrong* newsgroup.

    *please* read the C++ standard section 17.4.1.2 to learn what headers
    files you should include.

    Igmar
    Igmar Palsenberg, Aug 12, 2005