Compiler Options(cl.exe)

Vallarasu

Given a C file along with the dependent .h files, I need to get a list
of global, static and extern variables along with their datatypes.

Help me by informing if any such utility or command is available.

I was exploring cl command and came across an option which lists all
the functions in the .c file along with their signatures.
Like this, is there any option available for listing the variables?

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

Ulrich Eckhardt

Vallarasu said:
Given a C file along with the dependent .h files, I need to get a list
of global, static and extern variables along with their datatypes.

Help me by informing if any such utility or command is available.

Yes there is such a tool, you might want to take a look around in the net
for a tool called 'ctags' or 'etags'.
I was exploring cl command and came across an option which lists all
the functions in the .c file along with their signatures.
Like this, is there any option available for listing the variables?

cl.exe? Sounds like the C/C++ compilers Microsoft makes. In that case, try
'cl /?' to get a list of supported options.

Uli

CBFalconer

Vallarasu said:
Given a C file along with the dependent .h files, I need to get a list
of global, static and extern variables along with their datatypes.

Help me by informing if any such utility or command is available.

I was exploring cl command and came across an option which lists all
the functions in the .c file along with their signatures.
Like this, is there any option available for listing the variables?

Look up a program/system called CSCOPE. It probably exists for
your system, whatever that may be. Strictly speaking, this is
off=topic in c.l.c.

Ravi Uday

Vallarasu said:
Given a C file along with the dependent .h files, I need to get a list
of global, static and extern variables along with their datatypes.

Help me by informing if any such utility or command is available.

I was exploring cl command and came across an option which lists all
the functions in the .c file along with their signatures.
Like this, is there any option available for listing the variables?

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

You could probably use 'gid' as one of the codebase searching tool.
Other tools as other mentioned which helps are: CSCOPE, ctags, etags
which demands you build their corresponding dependancies files apriorly.

karthikeyarajan

Hai Uli,

cl.exe is exactly a C/C++ compiler made by MicroSoft.

I am unable to make out which option(s) in cl command
will provide solution to my problem.
Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

karthikeyarajan

cl.exe is MicroSoft's C/C++ compiler.

Is there any option(s) available in cl.exe which would provide solution
to my problem?

I am unable to find using cl /?

Please help me in this regard,
Karthik

Lawrence Kirby

Hai Uli,

cl.exe is exactly a C/C++ compiler made by MicroSoft.

Your best bet would be to ask in a newsgroup where discussion of that
specific compiler is topical. comp.lang.c is for discussing the standard C
language as it applies to all platforms, not tools for specific platforms.
Maybe a newsgroup such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or one of
the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.* newsgroups (maybe .tools?)

Lawrence

Chris Croughton

cl.exe is MicroSoft's C/C++ compiler.

So ask in a Microsoft group.
Is there any option(s) available in cl.exe which would provide solution
to my problem?

No idea, ask in a Microsoft group.
I am unable to find using cl /?

Have you tried reading the manual? Or googling for it?
Please help me in this regard,

Ask in a Microsoft group, where someone might know the answer. I don't
run Microsoft compilers, nor I suspect do most of the posters here.

Chris C