Compiler & Simulator / Synthesizer

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Christopher J. Holland, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I played with VHDL some time ago.
    I have Max Plus II ver 9.1 and a couple of Altera Chips.
    I got the Key and software from the company I used to work for.
    I also have a couple of Xilinx Chips and Foundation, but never messed with
    it.

    I found I could compile with Altera, but couldn't figure out what was
    going on with the timing because I didn't have a simulator/synthesizer.

    I'd like to develop something a bit robust, but not too robust.
    That said, what are the Compiler / Simulator / Synthesizer that are not
    too expensive, but I can develope something nice, without having to
    change compilers in a year or so?

    The Xilinx Foundation looked nice, but I never did learn it.
    So I am getting back into it and just wanted to know what "most" people
    are using to compile / simulate / synthesize their code.

    Thanks,
    --
    Christopher J. Holland [!MVP]
    http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq/
    Christopher J. Holland, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Christopher J. Holland wrote:

    > So I am getting back into it and just wanted to know what "most" people
    > are using to compile / simulate / synthesize their code.

    I expect that most use the free tools from
    brand X and A on small fpgas and never notice
    any tool limitations.

    To use large fpgas, the vendor tools cost more
    than zero, but are still a bargain for the
    place+route and static timing functions alone.

    For large designs, it becomes evident that you need
    to simulate source code, not netlists, so a
    fully licensed vhdl simulator is the primary
    requirement.

    Multi-vendor synthesis is nice to benchmark
    how your pretested code fits into different devices
    and to view the auto-generated netlist
    schematic for each run. You might be able to get
    by without it.

    The vendor synthesis tools are ok and
    getting better, but it is a more
    blind and fussy go/no-go process.