Compilers no longer release executables

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Clifford Stern, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. I installed Ubuntu 5.10 in November of 2005, and for a year and a half
    had use of its C compiler. In May of 2007 while attempting to get ggnfs
    in operation, I issued an ill-conceived command (make squeaky) that not
    only wiped out all of the ggnfs binaries, but was possibly also
    responsible for damage to the functioning of the compiler. Failure
    occurs in the last step, when the executable is supposed to be written
    to the hard drive, but fails to show up. The shocker came when a clean
    reinstallation of the operating system was unsuccessful in correcting
    the problem. The best that does is give a few minutes of normal compiler
    functioning, with the damaged condition soon returning. Trying a more
    recent version of Ubuntu (7.10) didn't help. I've installed Tiny
    Compiler, but that exhibits the same problem. However, that valuable
    resource includes the option of running the resulting program, so that
    is quite helpful. In addition, Knoppix can be used on most any computer
    to create executables for relatively simple applications.

    Is there a way to force a newly created executable stuck in RAM to be
    transferred to the hard drive? Could there be a rational explanation for
    this bizzare state of affairs?

    Clifford Stern

    Sources:

    ggnfs is an implementation of the General Number Field Sieve by Chris
    Monaco.
    http://www.math.ttu.edu/~cmonico/software/ggnfs/

    Tiny Compiler
    http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/
    Clifford Stern, Feb 19, 2009

  2. Clifford Stern

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    On February 19, 2009 15:18, in comp.lang.c, Clifford Stern ()
    wrote:

    Sorry, but you seem to have a problem with a particular OS and a particular
    compile process. Neither of which are related to the subject matter of
    comp.lang.c

    You probably should ask your question in a group that takes ggnfs as it's
    subject matter (or in a group that discusses your compiler or your OS).

    > I installed Ubuntu 5.10 in November of 2005, and for a year and a half
    > had use of its C compiler. In May of 2007 while attempting to get ggnfs
    > in operation, I issued an ill-conceived command (make squeaky) that not
    > only wiped out all of the ggnfs binaries, but was possibly also
    > responsible for damage to the functioning of the compiler.

    <off_topic>
    Highly unlikely, unless you ran the compile as root.
    Given your later problems (described in the snipped section, below) I would
    think that the compile had little or nothing to do with your problems, and
    you are suffering from some sort of hardware failure instead.
    </off_topic>
    [snip]

    > ggnfs is an implementation of the General Number Field Sieve by Chris
    > Monaco.
    > http://www.math.ttu.edu/~cmonico/software/ggnfs/

    <quote from website>
    There is a Yahoo! Group for GGNFS users at
    www.groups.yahoo.com/group/ggnfs. If you have questions or comments about
    the software, your best bet is to first scan messages there to see if the
    question [issue] has been asked [addressed]. If not, ask it there. Emailing
    me directly should only be done as a last resort, and only if you are
    submitting a bugfix or patch.

    Please Note: What little documentation there is for GGNFS is now horribly
    out of date. If you need help, you might try the group mentioned above.
    </quote>

    Have you checked the yahoo group (or emailed the author) as the webpage
    suggests?

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Lew Pitcher, Feb 19, 2009

  3. Clifford Stern

    CBFalconer Guest

    Clifford Stern wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu 5.10 in November of 2005, and for a year and a half
    > had use of its C compiler. In May of 2007 while attempting to get ggnfs
    > in operation, I issued an ill-conceived command (make squeaky) that not
    > only wiped out all of the ggnfs binaries, but was possibly also

    This is comp.lang.c, where we discuss the C language. Ubuntu is
    off-topic. Try alt.os.linux.ubuntu (which is not carried by
    google).

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Feb 20, 2009