    different names of compilers, what is the purpose, I want to know about
    them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    Madhura
    madhura, Feb 14, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    madhura <> wrote:
    >I have a basic question about compilers. What are the different types
    >of compilers,

    K&R compliant, C89 compliant, C94 compliant, C99 compliant,
    and Broken.

    >are they written by different companies,

    A number of different companies write C compilers, and the same company
    may have several different C compilers out (which may fall into one
    or more of the above categories.) There are also a lot of compilers
    written by entities other than companies, some more organized than
    others.

    >why there are different names of compilers,

    Why are there different names of anything?? Why is your mother's
    name not the same as your father's name or your name, and why
    do your neighbours have different names than those?

    >what is the purpose, I want to know about
    >them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.

    There is at least 1 C interpreter available, and I would imagine
    that you could find out more about it in the C FAQ which is regularily
    posted and cited in this newsgroup .
    Walter Roberson, Feb 14, 2006

  3. madhura

    Ian Collins Guest

    madhura wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a basic question about compilers. What are the different types
    > of compilers, are they written by different companies, why there are
    > different names of compilers, what is the purpose, I want to know about
    > them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    > Madhura

    Different compilers are written for different platforms and deployment
    targets.

    If you have specific questions about your environment, post it on a
    group dedicated to that environment.

    Why would you want an interpretor for a compiled language?

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Feb 14, 2006
  4. madhura

    Malcolm Guest

    "Ian Collins" <> wrote

    > Why would you want an interpretor for a compiled language?

    Because an interpreter can be easier to write than a compiler, it may also
    be easier to detect certain problems with programs, like memory leaks.
    It also enables you to run the program on any platform with a compiler for
    the interpreter. With C this isn't much of a practical advantage, but if you
    have your own pet language you want to become the next hot technology, it
    might help to have an interpreter written in an inferior but more common
    language.
    Malcolm, Feb 14, 2006
  5. madhura

    tmp123 Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > madhura wrote:
    > > them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    > > Madhura

    > Why would you want an interpretor for a compiled language?

    (Sorry if this question has an obvious answer); There are anything in
    the C standard that mades mandatory that C was a compiled language?
    tmp123, Feb 14, 2006
  6. madhura

    Jordan Abel Guest

    On 2006-02-14, tmp123 <> wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> madhura wrote:
    >> > them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    >> > Madhura

    >> Why would you want an interpretor for a compiled language?

    > (Sorry if this question has an obvious answer); There are anything in
    > the C standard that mades mandatory that C was a compiled language?

    There's something about the paradigm of "translation" that tends to make
    it a better fit, but nothing absolute
    Jordan Abel, Feb 14, 2006
  7. madhura

    Eric Sosman Guest

    tmp123 wrote On 02/14/06 17:28,:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >>madhura wrote:
    >>
    >>>them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    >>>Madhura

    >>Why would you want an interpretor for a compiled language?

    > (Sorry if this question has an obvious answer); There are anything in
    > the C standard that mades mandatory that C was a compiled language?

    The Standard requires (5.1.1.1) that it be possible
    to "translate" isolated segments of C source at different
    times, to retain the results of "translation" in files
    and libraries, and to "link" those results into executable
    (or perhaps executING) programs still later. I think we
    can take "translate" to be a synonym for "compile," so in
    that sense C is indeed a "compiled language."

    However, that doesn't mean C can't also be interpreted!
    The Standard does not describe the nature of the output of
    translation, nor the mechanism that causes the program to
    "do stuff" at run-time. A compiler that emits code for an
    interpreter to execute isn't ruled out. In fact, it's done
    all the time, from one viewpoint anyhow: If a program is
    running on a microcoded machine, is it running "natively"
    or is it being "interpreted" by the microcode?

    Eric Sosman, Feb 14, 2006
  8. Eric Sosman <> writes:
    [snip]
    > However, that doesn't mean C can't also be interpreted!
    > The Standard does not describe the nature of the output of
    > translation, nor the mechanism that causes the program to
    > "do stuff" at run-time. A compiler that emits code for an
    > interpreter to execute isn't ruled out. In fact, it's done
    > all the time, from one viewpoint anyhow: If a program is
    > running on a microcoded machine, is it running "natively"
    > or is it being "interpreted" by the microcode?

    Sure, but a compiler that generates some form of code that's then
    interpreted is a compiler -- and the interpreter itself isn't a C
    interpreter, it's an interpreter for the generated code (P-code,
    J-code, whatever).

    It would be theoretically possible to create a true C interpreter, one
    that would interpret C source code without translating it to some
    lower-level form. It would be easier to translate the C code on the
    fly to some internal form that's then interpreted (similar to the way
    Perl works).

    Keith Thompson, Feb 14, 2006
  9. madhura

    osmium Guest

    "Ian Collins" wrote:

    > Why would you want an interpretor for a compiled language?

    Some people consider that a painless way to learn the syntax of a new
    language. The instant and effortless feedback has a lot of appeal. Once
    you learn it, you switch to using a compiler.
    osmium, Feb 15, 2006
  10. madhura

    Neil Guest

    madhura wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a basic question about compilers. What are the different types
    > of compilers, are they written by different companies, why there are
    > different names of compilers, what is the purpose, I want to know about
    > them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    > Madhura

    The Herb Shlit C reference has the source code for a C Interpreter in
    the back.
    Neil, Feb 15, 2006
  11. Neil <> writes:
    > madhura wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a basic question about compilers. What are the different types
    >> of compilers, are they written by different companies, why there are
    >> different names of compilers, what is the purpose, I want to know about
    >> them. Are interpreters of C available, and if yes, how can I get them.
    >> Madhura
    >>

    > The Herb Shlit C reference has the source code for a C Interpreter
    > in the back.

    That's Herb Schildt, author of some *very bad* books about C.

    Keith Thompson, Feb 15, 2006
  12. Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Neil <> writes:

    >> The Herb Shlit C reference has the source code for a C Interpreter
    >>in the back.

    > That's Herb Schildt, author of some *very bad* books about C.

    Both are misspellings of "Herb BullSchildt."
    Martin Ambuhl, Feb 15, 2006
  13. madhura

    Neil Guest

    Martin Ambuhl wrote:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    >> Neil <> writes:

    >>> The Herb Shlit C reference has the source code for a C Interpreter
    >>> in the back.

    >> That's Herb Schildt, author of some *very bad* books about C.

    > Both are misspellings of "Herb BullSchildt."

    Before the Internet It was all I had, and all I could find.
    I helped at the time. Did do a lot of DOS, so I would not have noticed
    the ANSI violations.
    Neil, Feb 17, 2006