Compilier problem

skasetty

I got few C programs related to image processing in a CD, when i
bought a text book called "C language Algorithms for Digital Signal
Processing". In a readme.txt file they said that they have tested
those programs by compling the code using Borland's TURBO C version
2.0, Microsoft C versions 4.0 and 5.1 and they may not work with few
other compiliers. I tried compiling them with gcc and Microsoft Visual
C++ Version 5.0, I am getting lot of errors. I tried to correct each
program seperately, but there are like 25 to 30program (few are .C
files & few are .H files) all the programs are connected to each
other(in every program they called the other program and that program
calls some other) So that is like i have to correct all of the 25 to
30 program to make a single program to work. I want to know if there
is any way that i can make programs to work with Microsoft Visual C++
Version5.0 by changing any options in that software.

Thanks
Tene

Ian Collins

[...]
Post (the shortest!) example file, there might be a common problem that
someone here would recognise.

Those are very old compilers.

Ulrich Eckhardt

I got few C programs related to image processing in a CD, when i
bought a text book called "C language Algorithms for Digital Signal
Processing". In a readme.txt file they said that they have tested
those programs by compling the code using Borland's TURBO C version
2.0, Microsoft C versions 4.0 and 5.1 and they may not work with few
other compiliers.

Hmmm, that means that they are referring to ten year old compilers. Some
things changed in between, in particular compilers did get more standard
conformant, a new standard was released and typical OSs changed.
I tried compiling them with gcc and Microsoft Visual C++ Version 5.0,
I am getting lot of errors. I tried to correct each program seperately,
but there are like 25 to 30program (few are .C files & few are .H files)
all the programs are connected to each other(in every program they
called the other program and that program calls some other) So that is
like i have to correct all of the 25 to 30 program to make a single
program to work.

Yes, that could be.
I want to know if there is any way that i can make programs to work
with Microsoft Visual C++ Version5.0 by changing any options in that
software.

VC5 is also ten years old, even the following version, despite its
popularity, isn't supported by the vendor anymore.

BTW: I'm not sure how good your general C knowledge is, but if you want to
learn it, check out the reviews section at ACCU's website for recommended
C beginners' books.

Uli

Roberto Waltman

Post (the shortest!) example file, there might be a common problem that
someone here would recognise.

I would expect most errors to be related to the
use of non-standard DOS I/O extensions. That
should be relatively simple to fix.

Are you getting any errors or warnings related to
missing header files? Check those first, a missing
header file can generate torrents of errors in
following code.
Those are very old compilers.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

Jack Klein

Ian Collins said:

Nevertheless, they are post-1989 and offer ANSI C conformance.

Would have been nicer if you had quoted enough context to identify the
compilers you were talking about.

Turbo C 2.0 had some ANSI conformance, far from complete. Microsoft
4.0, IIRC, was poorer.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com