Compilier will not recognize DataSet object.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Dave, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Compilier will not recognize DataSet object.

    As you can see below is from a test simple form with no
    other code. I'm just trying to get any Aspx form to
    recognize the DataSet object. You can see from the code
    I am importing System.Data.SqlClient. I can get to
    DataReader, DataView and DataTable but Visual Studio
    won't even bring up DataSet on Intellisense, much less
    compile it. The message I get is: "Reference required
    to assembly 'System.Xml' containing the implemented
    interface 'System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable'.
    Add one to your project.

    But I don't want that one. I want the one in
    System.Data.SqlClient. Same thing happens when I try
    System.Data.oleDB. What painfully obvious step am I
    missing here?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

    Public Class WebForm1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    Protected WithEvents DataSet1 As System.Data.DataSet

    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object,

    Dim obj As dataset = New dataset()

    End Sub

    End Class

    Dave, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Dave

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    DataSet is a class that enables you to store data on your application
    memory and manipulate it. DataSet is made from DataTables and Relations
    between them. to Fill DataTable one can use DataAdapter of SQLClient,
    OLEDB, OracleClient or any other DB connectivity namespace.

    As you see DataSet is not part of any DB namespace it is "global" class
    that enable you to store data and you can decide what is the source of
    that Table.

    The DataSet can be handling as XML file. Actually it got XSD file
    (schema) that set the Tables, fields, relations and other Meta data.
    That is the reason way DataSet need reference to System.XML.

    Natty Gur, CTO
    Dao2Com Ltd.
    28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
    Israel , 51114

    Phone Numbers:
    Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
    Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Know the overall picture

    Natty Gur, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have the VB.NET equivelent.

    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    (rest of the code is at the bottom of the page.)

    And that is what baffles me. I can get to the other
    objects exposed from the namespace such as DataReader,
    DataView and DataTable. It is _just_ DataSet that will
    not get recognized.

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 25, 2003
  4. That is indeed odd. What error message do you get when you add the
    reference?

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big things are made up of
    lots of Little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 25, 2003
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    The message I get is: "Reference required
    to assembly 'System.Xml' containing the implemented
    interface 'System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable'.
    Add one to your project." (I removed the path name part of
    the message.)

    I get this message with or without adding System.Xml.
    Under all circumstances I have System.Data. Also, to
    clarify, I get the error when building the project as well
    as VS.NET has it underlined as an error with the same
    message.

    Thanks for you help. I'm just dumbfounded since I have
    access to the other objects in the namespace. Yeah, I
    even tried the 'ol reboot windows trick. I'm running XP
    Professional.

    Dave

    http://www.developersdex.com

    Dave, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Okay, did you add a reference to the assembly in the project, or a "using"
    (or "imports" in VB.Net) statement in your code or both?

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big things are made up of
    lots of Little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 25, 2003
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Just an "Import" statement in the code behind the Aspx
    form. (I'm using VB for my code.) I have not added a
    reference to the assembly. Truth be told I didn't know I
    had to add one to the assembly (or how to for that matter
    but I can look it up). Would that explain the errant
    behavior?

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 25, 2003
  8. Definitely. That's what "Reference" in the error message refers to. Just go
    to your Project window, find the "References" element, right-click and
    select "Add Reference" from the context menu. Then select the Assembly from
    the list of built-in Assemblies. You should be good to go! :)

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big things are made up of
    lots of Little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 25, 2003
  9. Dave

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    are you sure you got REFERENCE to the 'System.Xml' assembly ?

    Natty Gur, Jun 26, 2003
  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Good Gravy I can't believe that worked. So I needed a
    reference to System.XML in the assembly but I didn't need
    to import it into the Aspx page. Still can't find any
    documentation that mentions this but I'll at least know
    what to do when the compilier complains again.

    Thank you very much Kevin. Amazing how the rest of the
    code is falling into place now.

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 26, 2003