    Visual C++ compiler, and my operating system is Windows 2000 Pro.

    --
    Bill

    William C. Smith, May 15, 2006

  2. William C. Smith

    Paul Lalli Guest

    William C. Smith wrote:
    > How does one compile and install Perl? I have CPAN source, Microsoft
    > Visual C++ compiler, and my operating system is Windows 2000 Pro.

    Is there a particular reason you feel the need to compile your own
    version of perl?

    If not, the most standard Windows distribution of Perl is produced by
    ActiveState, and can be found at
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

    There are other options as well, including the perl that comes with the
    Cygwin shell, as well as a bundle package known as "Indigo Perl" (which
    I assume you can Google for)

    If you really are feeling masochistic enough to want to compile your
    own perl executable, you can get the source files from
    http://www.perl.com/download.csp and follow the directions in the
    standard README and INSTALLING files.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, May 15, 2006

  3. William C. Smith

    John Bokma Guest

    "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:

    > If you really are feeling masochistic enough to want to compile your
    > own perl executable, you can get the source files from
    > http://www.perl.com/download.csp and follow the directions in the
    > standard README and INSTALLING files.

    I have compiled Perl in the past on an SGI box, and IIRC was it not that
    much work. A lot had to be compiled in those days, and I was lucky that I
    had the Developers Option (or how it was called). Masochistic? I would say
    no. Useful experience? Who knows :)

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &

    John Bokma, May 15, 2006
  4. William C. Smith

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Paul Lalli" <> wrote in message
    > William C. Smith wrote:
    > > How does one compile and install Perl? I have CPAN source, Microsoft
    > > Visual C++ compiler, and my operating system is Windows 2000 Pro.

    ..
    ..

    > If you really are feeling masochistic enough to want to compile your
    > own perl executable, you can get the source files from
    > http://www.perl.com/download.csp and follow the directions in the
    > standard README and INSTALLING files.

    'README.win32' (in the top-level folder of the perl source distro) contains
    all the instructions you'll need. If you've got a commercial version of VC6
    or VC7 it's actually a fairly trivial exercise (though first time round it
    mightn't seem so trivial) - a couple of config options to set in the
    Win32/Makefile (which is pretty much self-documenting), then just 'cd' to
    the Win32 folder and run 'nmake', 'nmake' test' and 'nmake install'.

    If you're using the free command line compiler from Microsoft it's a little
    more involved - full details in the aforementioned 'README.win32'.
    And if the "free command line compiler" you're using happens to be VC8 (aka
    something like .NET 2005), I've read that it's not at all trivial - in fact
    I don't know that it has been done.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, May 16, 2006
  5. William C. Smith

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Paul Lalli wrote:

    >If not, the most standard Windows distribution of Perl is produced by
    >ActiveState, and can be found at

    For a more complete list of alternatives, check out
    Camelpack/VanillaPerl, at
    <http://camelpack.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page>

    There's an attempt at a complete overview at
    <http://camelpack.sourceforge.net/index.php/Other_Perl_Installers>.

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, May 16, 2006
  6. "Sisyphus" <> wrote in

    > 'README.win32' (in the top-level folder of the perl source distro)
    > contains all the instructions you'll need.

    I downloaded from perl.com - cpan - stable.tar.gz. There is no
    'reademe.win32', and the 'compile.bat' file seems to be for Windows CE.
    What did I do wrong?

    --
    Bill

    William C. Smith, May 16, 2006
  7. "William C. Smith" <wcsmithx*xieee.org> wrote in

    > "Sisyphus" <> wrote in
    >
    >> 'README.win32' (in the top-level folder of the perl source distro)
    >> contains all the instructions you'll need.

    > I downloaded from perl.com - cpan - stable.tar.gz. There is no
    > 'reademe.win32', and the 'compile.bat' file seems to be for Windows
    > CE. What did I do wrong?

    I just downloaded and extracted stable.tar.gz:

    D:\Dload> cd perl-5.8.8

    D:\Dload\perl-5.8.8> dir readme.win32
    Volume in drive D is DATA
    Volume Serial Number is 5039-FABC

    Directory of D:\Dload\perl-5.8.8

    01/31/2006 07:40 PM 37,473 README.win32
    1 File(s) 37,473 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 4,817,264,640 bytes free

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, May 16, 2006
  8. William C. Smith

    Sisyphus Guest

    "William C. Smith" <wcsmithx*xieee.org> wrote in message
    > "Sisyphus" <> wrote in
    >
    > > 'README.win32' (in the top-level folder of the perl source distro)
    > > contains all the instructions you'll need.

    > I downloaded from perl.com - cpan - stable.tar.gz. There is no
    > 'reademe.win32', and the 'compile.bat' file seems to be for Windows CE.
    > What did I do wrong?

    Looks like you've gone into the wince directory. 'README.win32' is up one
    level from there. You'll want to edit the 'win32/Makefile' and when you're
    ready to build, 'cd' to the 'win32' (not 'wince') folder and run 'nmake',
    etc.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, May 16, 2006
  9. "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote in

    > I just downloaded and extracted stable.tar.gz:

    Thank you for your help. I finally realized that I am hopelessly out
    of date. My old ZipGenius was not restoring the folders, just the files.
    With release 6, everything works fine.

    --
    Bill

    William C. Smith, May 18, 2006