Compiling C extensions with MSVC

Eric Hofreiter

--0-296179830-1131075544=:95187

Hello,
I would very much like to be able to compile a C extension for Ruby using=
MSVC, but I am coming across many problems. First of all, I am using ex=
tconf.rb with nothing but a create_makefile() statement. When it creates=
the makefile and I try to run it, it complains about not being able to f=
ind header files and libraries. So I went into the makefile and manually=
changed things so that it would include everything that it asked for. H=
owever, I am now getting an error that says:

c_lib-i386-mswin32.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol Init_c=
_lib
c_lib.lib : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
LINK : fatal error LNK1141: failure during build of exports file
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0=
x2'
Stop.
=20
"c_lib" is the name of the extension and .c file. I believe this may hav=
e something to do with it asking me to link a library called msvcrt.lib, =
which was located in a directed called amd64 or ia64. I'm not sure what =
these two things mean, but I know that they do not work with my system. =
I believe the one that works for me is x86. However, those two directori=
es were the only one that had msvcrt.lib.

=09

Curt Hibbs

Off topic but the koontzfamily doesnt include the famous author Dean does= it?

I can think of some mean programmer as protagonist based horror stories :=
-)

Continuing this OT thread, I am currently "reading" (actually, I
listen to audiobooks as I commute) Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It
is a very, very good and the protagonist is a hacker named "Hiro
Protagonist". Its sci-fi, not horror, but its one of the best books
I've read in a while.

Curt

Tanner Burson

------=_Part_34939_3658069.1131117088283

:)

Continuing this OT thread, I am currently "reading" (actually, I
listen to audiobooks as I commute) Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It
is a very, very good and the protagonist is a hacker named "Hiro
Protagonist". Its sci-fi, not horror, but its one of the best books
I've read in a while.

And for one last addition to the OT'ness. If you like Snow Crash make sure
to check out a couple of his other books, especially Diamond Age and
Cryptonomicon.

Curt

--
=3D=3D=3DTanner Burson=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)

------=_Part_34939_3658069.1131117088283--

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:39:07 +0900,
Eric Hofreiter wrote in [ruby-talk:164084]:
c_lib-i386-mswin32.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol Init_c_lib

It is the function what *you* have to write to initialize the
extension.