compiling C program containing Xutil functions

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by happytoday, Feb 8, 2010.

  1. happytoday

    happytoday Guest

    I failed to compile that program as written below with those error
    messages :
    The conditions of compiling this program are not available any longer
    in the net so please help me compiling this program .

    Error messages :
    ------------------------
    root @ Homer /export/home/unix.d/programs.d/clang.d/GUI>cc plot_data.c
    "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    create_int_dialog_entry
    "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    create_float_dialog_entry
    "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    set_up_dialog
    "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    read_dialog_window
    Undefined first referenced
    symbol in file
    create_int_dialog_entry plot_data.o
    create_float_dialog_entry plot_data.o
    read_dialog_window plot_data.o
    set_up_dialog plot_data.o
    ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

    Sources code :
    ------------------------
    #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xlib.h>
    #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xutil.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>

    int main()
    {
    /* Define default values: */

    int n = 0;
    float x = 0.0;

    /* Define contents of dialog window */

    create_int_dialog_entry("n", &n);
    create_float_dialog_entry("x", &x);

    /* Create window with name "Setup" and top-left corner at (0,0) */

    set_up_dialog("Setup", 0, 0);

    /* Display the window and read the results */

    read_dialog_window();

    /* Print out the new values */

    printf("n = %d, x = %f\n", n, x);
    return 0;
    }

    happytoday, Feb 8, 2010

  2. happytoday

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> happytoday <> writes:

    > I failed to compile that program as written below with those error
    > messages :
    > The conditions of compiling this program are not available any longer
    > in the net so please help me compiling this program .

    Your code is calling several functions that are not part of the standard
    C library. You must provide a library which contains those funcitons.

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

    John Gordon, Feb 8, 2010

  3. happytoday

    Ian Collins Guest

    happytoday wrote:
    > I failed to compile that program as written below with those error
    > messages :
    > The conditions of compiling this program are not available any longer
    > in the net so please help me compiling this program .

    You asked this in on c.l.c 2006, the same answers apply.

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Feb 8, 2010
  4. happytoday

    toucan Guest

    happytoday wrote:
    > I failed to compile that program as written below with those error
    > messages :
    > The conditions of compiling this program are not available any longer
    > in the net so please help me compiling this program .
    >
    > Error messages :
    > ------------------------
    > root @ Homer /export/home/unix.d/programs.d/clang.d/GUI>cc plot_data.c
    > "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > create_int_dialog_entry
    > "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > create_float_dialog_entry
    > "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > set_up_dialog
    > "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > read_dialog_window
    > Undefined first referenced
    > symbol in file
    > create_int_dialog_entry plot_data.o
    > create_float_dialog_entry plot_data.o
    > read_dialog_window plot_data.o
    > set_up_dialog plot_data.o
    > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out
    >

    > Sources code :
    > ------------------------
    > #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xlib.h>
    > #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xutil.h>

    It would be better to write
    #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    #include <X11/Xutil.h>

    then, probably something like the following, assuming your
    lib files are in /usr/openwin/lib (e.g. libXlib.a if it's
    the correct name for your library)
    cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXlib -lXutil

    toucan, Feb 8, 2010
  5. happytoday

    happytoday Guest

    On Feb 9, 12:30 am, toucan <> wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > I failed to compile that program as written below with those error
    > > messages :
    > > The conditions of compiling this program are not available any longer
    > > in the net so please help me compiling this program .

    > > Error messages :
    > > ------------------------
    > > root @ Homer /export/home/unix.d/programs.d/clang.d/GUI>cc plot_data.c
    > > "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > create_int_dialog_entry
    > > "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > create_float_dialog_entry
    > > "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > set_up_dialog
    > > "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > read_dialog_window
    > > Undefined                       first referenced
    > >  symbol                             in file
    > > create_int_dialog_entry             plot_data.o
    > > create_float_dialog_entry           plot_data.o
    > > read_dialog_window                  plot_data.o
    > > set_up_dialog                       plot_data.o
    > > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

    > > Sources code :
    > > ------------------------
    > > #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xlib.h>
    > > #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xutil.h>

    > It would be better to write
    > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    > #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    >
    > then, probably something like the following, assuming your
    > lib files are in /usr/openwin/lib (e.g. libXlib.a if it's
    > the correct name for your library)
    > cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXlib -lXutil
    >
    > > #include <stdio.h>
    > > #include <math.h>

    > > int main()
    > > {
    > > /* Define default values: */

    > > int n = 0;
    > > float x = 0.0;

    > > /* Define contents of dialog window */

    > > create_int_dialog_entry("n", &n);
    > > create_float_dialog_entry("x", &x);

    > > /* Create window with name "Setup" and top-left corner at (0,0) */

    > > set_up_dialog("Setup", 0, 0);

    > > /* Display the window and read the results */

    > > read_dialog_window();

    > > /* Print out the new values */

    > > printf("n = %d, x = %f\n", n, x);
    > > return 0;
    > > }

    The problem that I did know well what files concerning these functions
    so I compiled with the below errors :
    root @ Homer /clang>head plot_data.c
    #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>

    int main()
    {
    /* Define default values: */

    int n = 0;
    root @ Homer /clang>

    root @ Homer /clang>cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib
    -lXlib -lXutil plot_data.c
    "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    create_int_dialog_entry
    "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    create_float_dialog_entry
    "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    set_up_dialog
    "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    read_dialog_window
    ld: fatal: library -lXlib: not found
    ld: fatal: library -lXutil: not found
    ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out

    happytoday, Feb 8, 2010
  6. happytoday

    happytoday Guest

    On Feb 9, 12:30 am, toucan <> wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > I failed to compile that program as written below with those error
    > > messages :
    > > The conditions of compiling this program are not available any longer
    > > in the net so please help me compiling this program .

    > > Error messages :
    > > ------------------------
    > > root @ Homer /export/home/unix.d/programs.d/clang.d/GUI>cc plot_data.c
    > > "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > create_int_dialog_entry
    > > "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > create_float_dialog_entry
    > > "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > set_up_dialog
    > > "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > read_dialog_window
    > > Undefined                       first referenced
    > >  symbol                             in file
    > > create_int_dialog_entry             plot_data.o
    > > create_float_dialog_entry           plot_data.o
    > > read_dialog_window                  plot_data.o
    > > set_up_dialog                       plot_data.o
    > > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

    > > Sources code :
    > > ------------------------
    > > #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xlib.h>
    > > #include </usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xutil.h>

    > It would be better to write
    > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    > #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    >
    > then, probably something like the following, assuming your
    > lib files are in /usr/openwin/lib (e.g. libXlib.a if it's
    > the correct name for your library)
    > cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXlib -lXutil
    >
    > > #include <stdio.h>
    > > #include <math.h>

    > > int main()
    > > {
    > > /* Define default values: */

    > > int n = 0;
    > > float x = 0.0;

    > > /* Define contents of dialog window */

    > > create_int_dialog_entry("n", &n);
    > > create_float_dialog_entry("x", &x);

    > > /* Create window with name "Setup" and top-left corner at (0,0) */

    > > set_up_dialog("Setup", 0, 0);

    > > /* Display the window and read the results */

    > > read_dialog_window();

    > > /* Print out the new values */

    > > printf("n = %d, x = %f\n", n, x);
    > > return 0;
    > > }

    The problem that I do not know what library files should be included
    to resolve these functions

    happytoday, Feb 8, 2010
  7. happytoday

    Ian Collins Guest

    happytoday wrote:

    > The problem that I did know well what files concerning these functions
    > so I compiled with the below errors

    How did you resolve them in 2006?

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Feb 9, 2010
  8. happytoday

    Fred Guest

    On Feb 8, 3:10 pm, happytoday <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > the correct name for your library)
    > > cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXlib -lXutil

    > > > #include <stdio.h>
    > > > #include <math.h>

    > > > int main()
    > > > {
    > > > /* Define default values: */

    > > > int n = 0;
    > > > float x = 0.0;

    > > > /* Define contents of dialog window */

    > > > create_int_dialog_entry("n", &n);
    > > > create_float_dialog_entry("x", &x);

    > > > /* Create window with name "Setup" and top-left corner at (0,0) */

    > > > set_up_dialog("Setup", 0, 0);

    > > > /* Display the window and read the results */

    > > > read_dialog_window();

    > > > /* Print out the new values */

    > > > printf("n = %d, x = %f\n", n, x);
    > > > return 0;
    > > > }

    > The problem that I do not know what library files should be included

    Are you sure you want "-I/usr/openwin/share/include" instead of
    "-L/usr/openwin/share/include" ?

    Where are libX11.aand libXutil.a on your system?

    In my experience, Sun Unix platforms put them in "/usr/openwin",
    while most other -nix platforms put them (or at least links to them)
    in /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6.

    You need to find where thosw libraries are on your system, and
    set the "-L" options appropriately to point to them.

    > "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > create_int_dialog_entry

    Line 15 of your source code apparently references a function
    named "create_int_directory_entry" without you having provided
    a prototype for that function.

    > "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > create_float_dialog_entry
    > "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > set_up_dialog
    > "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > read_dialog_window

    Ditto for these warnings.

    > ld: fatal: library -lXlib: not found
    > ld: fatal: library -lXutil: not found

    libXlib.a and libXutil.a could not be found in the paths you provided.

    > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out- Hide quoted text -

    Fred K

    Fred, Feb 9, 2010
  9. happytoday

    toucan Guest

    happytoday wrote:

    > The problem that I did know well what files concerning these functions
    > so I compiled with the below errors :
    > root @ Homer /clang>head plot_data.c
    > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    > #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <math.h>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > /* Define default values: */
    >
    > int n = 0;
    > root @ Homer /clang>
    >

    > root @ Homer /clang>cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib
    > -lXlib -lXutil plot_data.c
    > "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > create_int_dialog_entry
    > "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > create_float_dialog_entry
    > "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > set_up_dialog
    > "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > read_dialog_window
    > ld: fatal: library -lXlib: not found
    > ld: fatal: library -lXutil: not found
    > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out

    It looks like something is wrong : did you check the "implicitly
    declared" function are really in those header files ? Did you check
    the lib file are really in this directory ?

    toucan, Feb 9, 2010
  10. happytoday

    happytoday Guest

    On Feb 9, 5:28 pm, Fred <> wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 3:10 pm, happytoday <> wrote:

    > > > It would be better to write
    > > > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    > > > #include <X11/Xutil.h>

    > > > then, probably something like the following, assuming your
    > > > lib files are in /usr/openwin/lib (e.g. libXlib.a if it's
    > > > the correct name for your library)
    > > > cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXlib -lXutil

    > > The problem that I do not know what library files should be included
    > > to resolve these functions
    > > so I compiled with the below errors :

    > > root @ Homer /clang>head plot_data.c
    > > #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    > > #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    > > #include <stdio.h>
    > > #include <math.h>

    > > int main()
    > > {
    > > /* Define default values: */

    > > int n = 0;
    > > root @ Homer /clang>

    > > root @ Homer /clang>cc -I/usr/openwin/share/include -L/usr/openwin/lib
    > > -lXlib -lXutil plot_data.c

    > Are you sure you want "-I/usr/openwin/share/include" instead of
    > "-L/usr/openwin/share/include" ?
    >
    > Where are libX11.aand libXutil.a on your system?
    >
    > In my experience, Sun Unix platforms put them in "/usr/openwin",
    > while most other -nix platforms put them (or at least links to them)
    > in /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6.
    >
    > You need to find where thosw libraries are on your system, and
    > set the "-L" options appropriately to point to them.
    >
    > > "plot_data.c", line 15: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > create_int_dialog_entry

    > Line 15 of your source code apparently references a function
    > named "create_int_directory_entry" without you having provided
    > a prototype for that function.
    >
    > > "plot_data.c", line 16: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > create_float_dialog_entry
    > > "plot_data.c", line 20: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > set_up_dialog
    > > "plot_data.c", line 24: warning: implicit function declaration:
    > > read_dialog_window

    > Ditto for these warnings.
    >
    > > ld: fatal: library -lXlib: not found
    > > ld: fatal: library -lXutil: not found

    > libXlib.a and libXutil.a could not be found in the paths you provided.
    >
    > > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out- Hide quoted text -

    > Fred K

    Please visit this page and see what the examples written about
    Graphical Interfaces: Dialog Boxes example :
    http://docs.huihoo.com/gnu/c-basics/c_tutorial.html

    happytoday, Feb 12, 2010
  11. happytoday

    happytoday Guest

    happytoday, Feb 12, 2010
  12. happytoday

    Flash Gordon Guest

    happytoday wrote:

    <snip>

    > Please visit this page and see what the examples written about
    > Graphical Interfaces: Dialog Boxes example :
    > http://docs.huihoo.com/gnu/c-basics/c_tutorial.html

    Or better yet, don't use that tutorial. Apart from using "void main" it
    lists strncpy as one of the most useful string functions (it's use is
    highly specialised), it keeps having a space after the < of #include
    directives, it keeps saying statement blocks are required where you can
    alternatively use a single statement (although sometimes it does not
    bother with the block it says you need when initially describing the
    construct)...

    That's what a cursory skim through shows.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Feb 16, 2010