Compiling disutil modules on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Geoff Caplan, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Geoff Caplan

    Geoff Caplan Guest

    Hi folks,

    Enjoying the process of picking up Python, but have come to an
    unexpected grinding halt.

    I am using the latest ActivePython release on Win2k. When I try to run

    python setup.py install

    on a disutil package, I get the error:

    "Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need
    to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't
    installed."

    Assuming this is correct, I find it mind-boggling that Active State
    have chosen to use an expensive and discontinued commercial compiler!

    I am aware that MS have released a free version of the latest Visual
    Studio 7 compiler. I have installed this but disutils doesn't
    recognise it. I can't find a free release of the MVC++ compiler: does
    such a thing exist?

    I assumed this would be a FAQ but can't find much in the archives. My
    knowledge of C compiling is close to zero, so I am stuck. Any
    advice would be much appreciated: this is a show-stopper.

    ------------------
    Geoff Caplan
    Vario Software Ltd
    (+44) 121-515 1154

    Geoff Caplan, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Hi !

    Look the message "Building Python 2.4 extensions with the Microsoft Toolkit
    Compiler" from 17 jul 2004

    It's interesting...

    Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Geoff Caplan

    Geoff Caplan Guest

    Re[2]: Compiling disutil modules on Windows

    Michel,

    MCamgntefp> Look the message "Building Python 2.4 extensions with the Microsoft Toolkit
    MCamgntefp> Compiler" from 17 jul 2004

    Thanks for the link, but I don't think it's a viable solution for me.

    First, it seems to be aimed at the official Alpha release of 2.4 which
    is compiled with the MVC++ 7. I need to get something working with the
    stable Active State distro, which is compiled with MVC++ 6.

    Also, Mike says it's aimed at experienced extension developers with
    experience of C compilers, and that "It is not really targeted at
    end-users." He also says: "Note that this document represents the
    findings of a very limited set of tests with what is essentially an
    unsupported approach to building extensions. You should expect to
    find bugs. No warranty is made that the approach outlined is safe or
    appropriate."

    I think that this approach would be well beyond my level of
    competence!

    What is the best way for an end-user with minimal C skills to get
    extensions working on Windows? I would abandon the Active State distro
    if I had to, but only reluctantly, as in other respects it seems very
    convenient.

    ------------------
    Geoff Caplan
    Vario Software Ltd
    (+44) 121-515 1154

    Geoff Caplan, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Geoff Caplan

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Geoff Caplan:

    > I am aware that MS have released a free version of the latest Visual
    > Studio 7 compiler. I have installed this but disutils doesn't
    > recognise it. I can't find a free release of the MVC++ compiler: does
    > such a thing exist?

    You could try to use mingw:
    http://sebsauvage.net/python/mingw.html

    Neil