compiling Python 2.3.3 Solaris 9 x86 question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stefan, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Stefan

    Stefan Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to build Python 2.3.3 on Solaris 9 x86. Everything goes fine
    except that I have some issues with curses module ...

    I had to fix configure script in order to get it running by changing

    SunOS/5.6 in SunOS/5.*

    eg.
    "
    case $ac_sys_system/$ac_sys_release in
    # On OpenBSD, select(2) is not available if _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined,
    # even though select is a POSIX function. Reported by J. Ribbens.
    # Reconfirmed for OpenBSD 3.3 by Zachary Hamm, for 3.4 by Jason Ish.
    OpenBSD/2.* | OpenBSD/3.[01234])
    define_xopen_source=no;;
    # On Solaris 2.6, sys/wait.h is inconsistent in the usage
    # of union __?sigval. Reported by Stuart Bishop.
    SunOS/5.6)
    "

    Im building python using 2.95 the GNU compiler.
    The configure command was something like:

    ../configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-threads --enable-shared

    My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is defined as:

    /opt/sfw/lib:/usr/sfw/lib

    ---

    I have found that after compilation there are some warnings about curses
    module ...

    *** WARNING: renaming "_curses" since importing it failed: ld.so.1:
    ../python: fatal: relocation error: file
    build/lib.solaris-2.9-i86pc-2.3/_curses.so: symbol newscr: referenced
    symbol not found
    building '_curses_panel' extension

    *** WARNING: renaming "_curses_panel" since importing it failed: No
    module named _curses

    .... which, I think, will end by having no curses module available.

    From help() found out these:

    help> modules

    Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...

    _curses_failed getpass py_compile
    _curses_panel_failed

    Anyone any ideas about this error? Do I have to instruct configure
    script to pick up some libcurses at the first run ... or my
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not correct ?

    thanks
    stefan

    Stefan, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Stefan

    Stefan Guest

    Regarding this problem looks like 'configure' does not pickup
    Solaris's curses library.
    I had to manually pass to configure command libncurses library

    LDFLAGS="-L/opt/sfw/lib -R/opt/sfw/lib -lncurses"
    CPPFLAGS="-I/optsfw/include" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    --with-threads --enable-shared

    Does this mean that python needs libncurses and can not work with
    Solaris curses library !?

    thanks,
    stefan

    Stefan, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Stefan

    David Rock Guest

    Stefan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to build Python 2.3.3 on Solaris 9 x86. Everything goes fine
    > except that I have some issues with curses module ...

    Is compiling necessary? I have found the packages for python 2.3.3 and
    ncurses on www.sunfreeware.com for Solaris 9 to work very well. The
    Solaris 8 packages were horribly wrecked for curses-based apps, but the
    Solaris 9 ones seem to work.

    --
    David

    David Rock, Apr 25, 2004