compiling Python 2.3.3 Solaris 9 x86 question

Stefan

Hi,

I am trying to build Python 2.3.3 on Solaris 9 x86. Everything goes fine
except that I have some issues with curses module ...

I had to fix configure script in order to get it running by changing

SunOS/5.6 in SunOS/5.*

eg.
"
case $ac_sys_system/$ac_sys_release in
# On OpenBSD, select(2) is not available if _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined,
# even though select is a POSIX function. Reported by J. Ribbens.
# Reconfirmed for OpenBSD 3.3 by Zachary Hamm, for 3.4 by Jason Ish.
OpenBSD/2.* | OpenBSD/3.[01234])
define_xopen_source=no;;
# On Solaris 2.6, sys/wait.h is inconsistent in the usage
# of union __?sigval. Reported by Stuart Bishop.
SunOS/5.6)
"

Im building python using 2.95 the GNU compiler.
The configure command was something like:

../configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-threads --enable-shared

My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is defined as:

/opt/sfw/lib:/usr/sfw/lib

---

I have found that after compilation there are some warnings about curses
module ...

*** WARNING: renaming "_curses" since importing it failed: ld.so.1:
../python: fatal: relocation error: file
build/lib.solaris-2.9-i86pc-2.3/_curses.so: symbol newscr: referenced
symbol not found
building '_curses_panel' extension

*** WARNING: renaming "_curses_panel" since importing it failed: No
module named _curses

.... which, I think, will end by having no curses module available.

From help() found out these:

help> modules

Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...

_curses_failed getpass py_compile
_curses_panel_failed

Anyone any ideas about this error? Do I have to instruct configure
script to pick up some libcurses at the first run ... or my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not correct ?

thanks
stefan

Stefan

Regarding this problem looks like 'configure' does not pickup
Solaris's curses library.
I had to manually pass to configure command libncurses library

LDFLAGS="-L/opt/sfw/lib -R/opt/sfw/lib -lncurses"
CPPFLAGS="-I/optsfw/include" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
--with-threads --enable-shared

Does this mean that python needs libncurses and can not work with
Solaris curses library !?

thanks,
stefan

David Rock

Stefan said:
Hi,

I am trying to build Python 2.3.3 on Solaris 9 x86. Everything goes fine
except that I have some issues with curses module ...

Is compiling necessary? I have found the packages for python 2.3.3 and
ncurses on www.sunfreeware.com for Solaris 9 to work very well. The
Solaris 8 packages were horribly wrecked for curses-based apps, but the
Solaris 9 ones seem to work.