compiling Python 2.7.1 with readline module fails on Debian(Virtualbox)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benedict Verheyen, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    i'm trying to compile Python 2.7.1 on Debian (Virtual Box).
    Compiling end successfully but readline and curses fail to build.

    I'm working with virtualenv and I install all my packages in $HOME/local.
    I've downloaded readline, compiled and installed it in $HOME/local, same with ncurses.
    Both were the latest releases.
    But somehow, Python isn't able to build them.

    I get this message:

    Failed to build these modules:
    _curses _curses_panel readline

    So it does seems to find the modules.
    I'm not used to dealing with configure, and make so i can't debug much.
    I first tried this configure line:
    ../configure --enable-shared --prefix=$HOME/local

    Next i tried this one:
    env CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/local/lib" ./configure --enable-shared --prefix=$HOME/local

    But make yields the same error.

    Any clues on what I do wrong?

    The source of ncurses and readline are placed in $HOME/src.
    Both packages are installed in $HOME/local

    Thanks for any advice,

    Regards,
    Benedict
    Benedict Verheyen, Dec 22, 2010