    I tried with and without --with-readline and with readline/ and
    readline/lib as shown above.
    thx for help
    gavino, Sep 16, 2010

  2. gavino

    James Mills Guest

    Re: compiling python 3.1.2 with local readline fails to get readline- help!

    On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM, gavino <> wrote:
    > I compiled readline 6.1 myself.
    >
    > #  ./configure --prefix=/home/apps/python --disable-shared --with-
    > pymalloc --with-threads --with-pth --enable-big-digits --disable-ipv6
    > --enable-readline --with-readline=/home/apps/readline/lib/
    > #  make -j14
    > modules not installed:
    > ........    readline   .........
    >
    > Python starts but no readline.
    >
    > What is the proper configure flag to use a locally compiled readline?
    > I tried with and without --with-readline and with readline/ and
    > readline/lib as shown above.
    > thx for help

    AFAIK, there are no "readline" specific options in python 2.x's
    ../configure options:

    # pwd
    /usr/ports/opt/python/Python-2.6.5
    # ./configure --help | grep readline -i
    #

    I could be wrong... Are you sure you've configured and compile
    readline correctly and that you've set the appropriate environment
    variables and paths for C/C++ compilers (eg: GCC) to pick it up ?

    cheers
    James

    --
    -- James Mills
    James Mills, Sep 16, 2010

  3. gavino

    gavino Guest

    On Sep 15, 5:12 pm, James Mills <> wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM, gavino <> wrote:
    > > I compiled readline 6.1 myself.

    > > #  ./configure --prefix=/home/apps/python --disable-shared --with-
    > > pymalloc --with-threads --with-pth --enable-big-digits --disable-ipv6
    > > --enable-readline --with-readline=/home/apps/readline/lib/
    > > #  make -j14
    > > modules not installed:
    > > ........    readline   .........

    > > Python starts but no readline.

    > > What is the proper configure flag to use a locally compiled readline?
    > > I tried with and without --with-readline and with readline/ and
    > > readline/lib as shown above.
    > > thx for help

    > AFAIK, there are no "readline" specific options in python 2.x's
    > ./configure options:
    >
    > # pwd
    > /usr/ports/opt/python/Python-2.6.5
    > # ./configure --help | grep readline -i
    > #
    >
    > I could be wrong... Are you sure you've configured and compile
    > readline correctly and that you've set the appropriate environment
    > variables and paths for C/C++ compilers (eg: GCC) to pick it up ?
    >
    > cheers
    > James
    >
    > --
    > -- James Mills
    > --
    > -- "Problems are solved by method"

    I am comiling 3.1.2.
    I am not root but a user.
    I compiled readline and it did not complain.
    gdb and zlib and some other modules also were not found.
    gavino, Sep 16, 2010
  4. gavino

    On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM, gavino <> wrote:
    > I am comiling 3.1.2.
    > I am not root but a user.
    > I compiled readline and it did not complain.
    > gdb and zlib  and some other modules also were not found.

    Like I said earlier in my previous post, is the readline line that
    you compiled and installed to your home directory actually
    working and can you actually compile any C programs that
    use this custom readline ?

    cheers
    James

    --
    -- James Mills
    James Mills, Sep 16, 2010
  5. gavino

    gavino Guest

    On Sep 15, 6:41 pm, James Mills <> wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM, gavino <> wrote:
    > > I am comiling 3.1.2.
    > > I am not root but a user.
    > > I compiled readline and it did not complain.
    > > gdb and zlib  and some other modules also were not found.

    > Like I said earlier in my previous post, is the readline line that
    > you compiled and installed to your home directory actually
    > working and can you actually compile any C programs that
    > use this custom readline ?
    >
    > cheers
    > James
    >
    > --
    > -- James Mills
    > --
    > -- "Problems are solved by method"

    I don't know how to test readline. It compiled without complaint. I
    guess my questions boils down to how to point the python compile to
    the readline lib? I don't have root.
    gavino, Sep 20, 2010