compiling python2.5 on linux under wine

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton

hey, has anyone investigated compiling python2.5 using winegcc, under wine?

i'm presently working my way through it, just for kicks, and was
wondering if anyone would like to pitch in or stare at the mess under
a microscope.
it's not as crazed as it sounds. cross-compiling python2.5 for win32
with mingw32 is an absolute miserable bitch of a job that goes
horribly wrong when you actually try to use the minimalist compiler to
do any real work.
so i figured that it would be easier to get python compiled using
wine. i _have_ got some success - a python script and a python.exe.so
(which is winegcc's friendly way of telling you you have something
that stands a chance of working) as well as a libpython25.dll.so.
what i _don't_ yet have is an _md5.dll (or should it be _md5.lib?)
i.e. the standard modules are a bit... iffy. the _winreg.o is
compiled; the _md5.o is compiled; the winreg.lib is not. whoops.
plus, it's necessary to enable nt_dl.c which is in PC/ _not_ in
Modules/.

one of the key issues that's a bit of a bitch is that python is
compiled up for win32 with a hard-coded pyconfig.h which someone went
to a _lot_ of trouble to create by hand instead of using autoconf. oh
- and it uses visualstudio so there's not even a Makefile. ignoring
that for the time-being was what allowed me to get as far as actually
having a python interpreter (with no c-based modules).

so there's a whole _stack_ of stuff that needs dragging kicking and
screaming into the 21st century.

there _is_ a reason why i want to do this. actually, there's two.

firstly, i sure as shit do _not_ want to buy, download, install _or_
run visual studio. i flat-out refuse to run an MS os and visual
studio runs like a dog under wine.

secondly, i want a python25.lib which i can use to cross-compile
modules for poor windows users _despite_ sticking to my principles and
keeping my integrity as a free software developer.

thirdly i'd like to cross-compile pywebkitgtk for win32

fourthly i'd like to compile and link applications to the extremely
successful and well wicked MSHTML.DLL... in the _wine_ project :) not
the one in windows (!) i want to experiment with DOM model
manipulation - from python - similar to the OLPC HulaHop project -
_but_ i want to compile or cross-compile everything from linux, not
windows (see 1 above)

fifthly i'd like to see COM (DCOM) working and pywin32 compiled and
useable under wine, even if it means having to get a license to use
dcom98 and oleauth.lib and oleauth.h etc. and all the developer files
needed to link DCOM applications under windows. actually what i'd
_really_ like to see is FreeDCE's DCOM work actually damn well
finished, it's only been eight years since wez committed the first
versions of the IDL and header files, and it's only been over fifteen
years since microsoft began its world domination using COM and DCOM.

.... but that's another story :)

so that's ... five reasons not two. if anyone would like to
collaborate on a crazed project with someone who can't count, i'm
happy to make available what i've got up to so far, on github.org.

l.