Compiling ruby-1.8.6 on CentOS-4.5 with readline and openssl

James Byrne

I am having problems with getting a recent version of ruby properly
built and installed on my CentOS-4.5 box. I obtained the source from
ruby-lang.org and built it taking all the defaults in ./configure. I
see both openssl and readline ext being built. However, after I "make
install" ruby into /usr/local/lib|bin and try and open a console in a
rails project I get a message telling me that the required library,
"readline" is not available.

What must I do to enable this?

Sincerely,

James Byrne

James Byrne wrote:

I have discovered that running ./configure with the options
--with-readline-dir=/usr and --with-openssl-dir=/usr seems to have
solved the missing readline and openssl support problem. Now I discover
that I can no longer find my installed gems. Sigh.

So... I went to cd /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubygems-update-0.9.4
and ran ruby setup.rb. Now I have to reload all of my gems I suppose
using gem install x --include-dependencies --remote.

sigh. sigh...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Phil