compiling under cygwin with intel windows compiler icl 8.0: is it a good idea?

alex

Hello

I have some c++ code, which has been happily developped in the
linux/unix world. Everything has always been compiled with different
compiler (intel, KAI, g++...) and gnu makefiles

For some obscure reasons, I have to make all this work in Windows,
where I have very little experience.
I've installed cygwin and everything is going well using the provided
g++ compiler.

However, I'd like to use the windows intel c++ compiler icl 8.0 to get
faster performance, and not obliged anyone who want to used my code to
install cygwin.
I got through the frist steps by installing Windows platform sdk (to
have all include files), but I'm screwed up with different problems.

So the question: is that a good idea to use the power of
cygwin/gnumake and intel c++ compiler. If yes, what are the major
obstacles I will encounter?

I have not found any clear discussion about this on the web.

Thanks a lot for the help

Alex

Christopher Benson-Manica

alex said:
However, I'd like to use the windows intel c++ compiler icl 8.0 to get
faster performance, and not obliged anyone who want to used my code to
install cygwin.

<OT>If you invoke cygwin's g++ with the -mno-cygwin option, you can
link directly to the Windows DLLs and bypass the cygwin
environment. said:
So the question: is that a good idea to use the power of
cygwin/gnumake and intel c++ compiler. If yes, what are the major
obstacles I will encounter?

Well, the biggest is that you (apparently) didn't write portable code
- making it compilable with icc could be a major hassle.

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/