Compiling User Controls in Web Deployment Project strips Attribute

Marc Woolfson

Hi all,

I have a Web Application Project in VS 2008 containing a number of User
Controls. Some of these Controls have a custom Attribute assigned to them. I
have attached a Web Deployment Project to the Web project and set the
following values in order to be able to ship the User Controls in a single
assembly:

* Compilation > Allow this precompiled site to be updateable > False
* Output Assemblies > Merge all pages and control outputs to a single
assembly > True
* Deployment > Remove the App_Data folder from output location

The other settings have been left as their defaults.

When the Deployment Project is built, the resultant assemblies may be
analysed in Red Gate's .NET Reflector (formerly Lutz Roeder's) but the custom
Attribute seems to have been stripped from both the 'base' and 'wrapper'
Control classes.

Has anyone else seen this problem and is a aware of the solution? I am
assuming that this is caused by the way that the Web Deployment Project
compiles the Controls into a single assembly but I do not know how to rectify
this.

Thanks in advance,

Marc