    on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
    generating object code or linking?

    thanks, mike
    Michael Gaab, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Michael Gaab

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Michael Gaab" <> wrote in message
    news:3f85ec75_3@127.0.0.1...
    > on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
    > generating object code or linking?

    Yes. No. Maybe. The C language specifies no
    requirements about the execution time of
    compilers or linkers.

    But in practice, the time needed for
    translation (what you call 'generating
    object code') will depend upon the number
    and sizes of your source files.

    Linking time mostly depends upon how
    many and how large libraries are used. The
    more and/or larger libraries you link with,
    the longer it will take. And of course the
    number and sizes of your 'object code' files
    will contribute to this time as well.

    The only way to know for sure is to do it
    and measure. And this will only give you
    the information for the implemenation and
    platform you're using. The time could be
    very different with a different implementation
    and/or platform.

    The application domain has nothing to do with
    any of this.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Michael Gaab

    cody Guest

    > on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
    > generating object code or linking?

    i guess the generation of object code takes most of the time since this step
    includes parsing of the sourcecode, run of the preprocessor, generation of
    code and code optimisation.

    the linker only puts object files together and changes some memory adresses.

    please correct me if iam wrong.

    --
    cody

    [Freeware, Games and Humor]
    www.deutronium.de.vu || www.deutronium.tk
    cody, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Michael Gaab

    Joe Wright Guest

    cody wrote:

    > > on large commercial/scientific programs, which takes that longest,
    > > generating object code or linking?

    > i guess the generation of object code takes most of the time since this step
    > includes parsing of the sourcecode, run of the preprocessor, generation of
    > code and code optimisation.
    >
    > the linker only puts object files together and changes some memory adresses.
    >
    > please correct me if iam wrong.

    OK, you're wrong. You don't know enough yet about the subject here to
    offer help to other people. Rather you should be studying good books and
    asking here for help as you need it. I guess that you are younger than
    most of us. Grow up! Learn to type.
    --
    Joe Wright http://www.jw-wright.com
    --- Albert Einstein ---