Complete novice question - do I need a web service for this?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by mtait, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. mtait

    mtait Guest

    Hi - I'm not sure if I need a web service, and am looking for advice,

    I have an .net2 web application for consultants, where it shows if they have
    availability which can be booked - each of the consultants also have their
    own website, and a couple have now asked if it's possible to show the
    availability 'live' on their site (currently, they add a link to their site,
    which opens up the calendar on my server, for their time - so people can book
    their time).

    The websites they have are in all different languages (php, asp the most
    common) - would a web service, automatically return XML which they could use
    in a php/asp application, which could run on their web site - for example, as
    a ticker type display, or anything else they choose?

    I've heard about web services - but I really don't yest have a grasp of what
    they are for. Would it help achieve what I'm being asked above, and if so,
    where can I look for straightforward examples (preferably in .net2 vb), to
    get me started?

    Thanks for any help,

    Mark
    mtait, Sep 24, 2006

  2. mtait

    mtait Guest

    Hi Simon - thank you. The people who want to use it, as opposed to a popup
    to my application, will have to get someone to write a 'reader' in their
    chosen language to call the web service. I just thought making the data
    available through a webservice, would help them integrate it in any way they
    choose on their site (calendar, ticker etc etc).

    Does a web service (if I were to select it in Visual Studio) return XML by
    default - or do I need to program it in a specific way? Are there any simple
    examples so I can start learning?

    Thanks again, Mark

    mtait, Sep 25, 2006

  3. mtait

    mtait Guest

    Simon - thank you. The link you sent looks exactly like where I should start
    to learn.

    All the best with your project too.

    Cheers, Mark

    mtait, Sep 25, 2006