complex datatypes and methods

Mario Rodriguez

Hi, I created a custom container class in order to return values from web
method calls and this works fine, but my problem is that I added some
methods to this custom container class and when I tried to invoke the
methods of the container from the client side it throws a compiler error:
"does not contain a definition of <myMethod>"

Any Idea ???

Andrew Hopper

Due to how the XML serializer works, the classes that the Web Services proxy
generator creates to represent server-side classes on the client side will
only contain public fields and read/write public properties - no methods or
read-only properties will be created on the client side. If you want to make
your methods accessible on the client side, you'll have to either manually
add them to the classes the proxy generator creates or use a shared types
library (see my blog entry on this topic for details:
http://dotnetified.com/CommentView.aspx?guid=abaf08b3-1abd-4dae-be05-23b733ff3c5d).

Hope this helps!
-Andy Hopper
http://www.dotnetified.com