    reason choosing "j" over "i". Have some respect for majority's rules.
    This is childish.
    , Jun 28, 2008

  2. Ant Guest

    On Jun 28, 1:48 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > I think complex numbers should respect the "i" or "I" representation,
    > instead of "j".
    > No reason being cute and using a different character instead of the
    > traditional representation? At least have the decency of supporting
    > the orginal representation?

    You're looking at this from a very narrow perspective. i is indeed the
    common notation in the realm of mathematics. However, in the realm of
    engineering, j is more common (i is used for current). So given that
    both i and j are in common usage for denoting a complex number, and
    that i is common for indexing, then j is a perfectly reasonable
    notation for Python to use.

    > Programmers use j as frequently as i as indexing variable, I see no
    > reason choosing "j" over "i". Have some respect for majority's rules.
    > This is childish.

    Do some research before flaming on a subject on which you only have
    one side of the story.

    --
    Ant
    Ant, Jun 28, 2008

  3. On Jun 28, 1:48 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > I think complex numbers should respect the "i" or "I" representation,
    > instead of "j".
    > No reason being cute and using a different character instead of the
    > traditional representation? At least have the decency of supporting
    > the orginal representation?
    > Programmers use j as frequently as i as indexing variable, I see no
    > reason choosing "j" over "i". Have some respect for majority's rules.
    > This is childish.

    You could set "I = 1j" at the start of your scripts. Then you can
    happily write your complex numbers in the form:

    3+4*I

    Mark
    Mark Dickinson, Jun 28, 2008
  4. Roy Smith Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > hi
    >
    > I think complex numbers should respect the "i" or "I" representation,
    > instead of "j".
    > No reason being cute and using a different character instead of the
    > traditional representation?

    Ask any electrical engineer what j means.
    Roy Smith, Jun 29, 2008
  5. Lie Guest

    On Jun 29, 8:39 pm, Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > On 2008-06-29, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I think complex numbers should respect the "i" or "I"
    > >> representation, instead of "j". No reason being cute and using
    > >> a different character instead of the traditional
    > >> representation?

    > > Ask any electrical engineer what j means.

    > And ask them what "I" means.

    Ask an English-speaking man what "I" means, and I'm sure they'll
    answer "I is not U".

    A select few might understand what "i" means, while another select few
    might understand what "j" means, but all of us understand what "I"
    means.
    Lie, Jun 29, 2008