Complex Site Structure - One project or many?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff Barton, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Jeff Barton

    Jeff Barton Guest

    Hi All,

    We have developed a nice .Net platform for our growing
    internet (www.co.sutter.ca.us), intranet and internal web
    application sites. Everything is great: cool server
    controls, xml config files, easy maintanance, etc.
    However, we have experienced some shortcomings in the
    orginization of our vs.net solutions for each of these
    sites that I am trying to remedy. I have some questions
    about 'Best Practices' that I could use some advise on...
    (BTW this isn't just a vs issue, but application design)

    Right now, each of the sites is organized similar this
    within vs:

    WebAppSolution
    Sutter.Core (security obj, active dir, etc)
    Sutter.Web (custom obj for all county sites)
    Sutter.AppServer.Controls (site specific custom
    controls)
    Sutter.AppServer (the web site with aspx and content)

    The thing to notice is that the entire site is contained
    in a single web application. I would like to break up the
    applications withing the site to seperate web
    applications, especially with the application pooling
    abilities in II6. The problem is we have a pretty cool
    security system in place using forms authentication
    against active directory (there are some situations where
    multiple users share a windows session so windows
    authentication wouldn't work), and the user only logs
    into the site once and is authenticated for any app. If
    the apps are seperated into seperate web apps though,
    this is gonna break.

    So what do I do? Thanks for the help!

    Jeff Barton
    to email remove the frustration :)