Complier Directive #if DEBUG / RELEASE in VS2005

Christine

I have deployed a web project in VS2005 with the following section of
code.

#if DEBUG
IRecurAccount = new BLL.RecurAccount();
#else
//connect to our remote server, create remote object
IRecurAccount =
(IBLL.IRecurAccount)Activator.GetObject(typeof(IBLL.IRecurAccount),

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["RecurringCC_RemoteServer"].ToString()
+ "RecurAccount.rem");
#endif

When this code executes on the server it doesn't step into the #else
section, the code steps into the #if Debug section.

i have <compilation debug="false"> in my web.config and have complied
the project in release mode. Any ideas as to why this is happening?