    project into an installation executable for easy deployment?

    Thanks,
    David Lozzi
    David Lozzi, Feb 18, 2004

  2. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    http://www.octopod.net/index.htm

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004

  3. David,

    I believe ASPs are compiled and cached by IIS.

    Why do you wish to compile ASPs? Do you have a performance problem?

    Paul

    Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK], Feb 18, 2004
  4. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    Yes, exactly. The Octopod thing that I linked to has gotten rave reviews,
    although I confess I have never used it. But it's perfect for, for example,
    putting a project into a CD.

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004
  5. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    I could see it being useful for school yearbooks, among other things.

    > I've heard it get decent reviews but to be honest, it's the only product

    of

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004
  6. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    Ok, let's say you have been approached to make a school yearbook, or a
    church directory, or some such thing, that has the following requirements:
    1. Has to contain a database
    2. Has to have the ability to show pictures
    3. Has to be portable (run off of CD)
    4. Has to work on older versions of Windows

    What else would you use?

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004
  7. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    You are right, using a language meant for executables is going to be best.
    But for people like me not willing to learn a new language, Octopod works.
    Not that I've tried it. But if someone wants to pay me to make a directory,
    then I guess that would be something I'd consider

    > Most likely VB6, or C++
    > Something that's designed as an executable, not designed as a server app

    and

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004
  8. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    (1) I freely admit that I have put a stop to trying to learn everything new.
    I have a life to live, and if I learned new languages, I'd do it at the
    expense of my roles as a father and husband, among other things. I ahve
    great admiration for those willing to pick up new stuff. But I choose not
    to.

    (2) I didn't pass it off as the appropriate thing for the OP. He asked for
    something that would allow him to compile an ASP project. He had already
    decided that was what he wanted. I simply told him where he could find it.

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004
  9. David Lozzi

    middletree Guest

    Gotcha. I love a happy ending

    middletree, Feb 18, 2004
  10. I downloaded the Octopod trial and compiled one of my asp apps, but it fell
    over on the first html comment it found in an .asp page! Plus, their
    support doesn't seem too great - I quote from their web site: " Fill out a
    form and our technical support will respond to you within 48 hours
    (registered users only)" 48 hrs can be an awful long time when you have a
    tech issue to sort out.

    --
    John Blessing

    businesses
    http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !
    > I've heard it get decent reviews but to be honest, it's the only product

    of
    > it's type I know of.
    > While I guess it is a great idea I've never seen a valid use for it
    > personally......
    >
    > --
    > Curt Christianson
    > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
    > www.Darkfalz.com
    >

    > "middletree" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, exactly. The Octopod thing that I linked to has gotten rave

    reviews,
    > > although I confess I have never used it. But it's perfect for, for

    > example,
    > > putting a project into a CD.
    > >
    > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > > > usually this is so people can make it portable or distributable.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Curt Christianson
    > > > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
    > > > www.Darkfalz.com
    > > >

    > > > "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]" <>

    wrote

    John Blessing, Feb 18, 2004
  11. David Lozzi

    Alan Guest

    It's very expensive, any others?

    "middletree" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news: ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Alan, Feb 19, 2004
  12. David Lozzi

    Guest Guest

    hi there,

    well, you can make a little app with using ActiveHTML from
    Selisoft(http://www.selisoft.com/en/ahtml/index.html). just unpack ther
    stuff and use one small execuable from package, as i do rememebr its
    ahtml.exe or somth like this. you can make your app launching asp file with
    ahtml.exe and catch the output.

    <spider/>
    Guest, Feb 19, 2004