Compliling ASP project into executable

David Lozzi

Hello all,

I am deploying many ASP apps and many of them are onto client internal
servers. I was wondering if there was an option to compile my entire ASP
project into an installation executable for easy deployment?

Thanks,
David Lozzi

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

David,

I believe ASPs are compiled and cached by IIS.

Why do you wish to compile ASPs? Do you have a performance problem?

Paul

middletree

Yes, exactly. The Octopod thing that I linked to has gotten rave reviews,
although I confess I have never used it. But it's perfect for, for example,
putting a project into a CD.

middletree

Ok, let's say you have been approached to make a school yearbook, or a
church directory, or some such thing, that has the following requirements:
1. Has to contain a database
2. Has to have the ability to show pictures
3. Has to be portable (run off of CD)
4. Has to work on older versions of Windows

What else would you use?

middletree

You are right, using a language meant for executables is going to be best.
But for people like me not willing to learn a new language, Octopod works.
Not that I've tried it. But if someone wants to pay me to make a directory,
then I guess that would be something I'd consider

middletree

(1) I freely admit that I have put a stop to trying to learn everything new.
I have a life to live, and if I learned new languages, I'd do it at the
expense of my roles as a father and husband, among other things. I ahve
great admiration for those willing to pick up new stuff. But I choose not
to.

(2) I didn't pass it off as the appropriate thing for the OP. He asked for
something that would allow him to compile an ASP project. He had already
decided that was what he wanted. I simply told him where he could find it.

John Blessing

I downloaded the Octopod trial and compiled one of my asp apps, but it fell
over on the first html comment it found in an .asp page! Plus, their
support doesn't seem too great - I quote from their web site: " Fill out a
form and our technical support will respond to you within 48 hours
(registered users only)" 48 hrs can be an awful long time when you have a
tech issue to sort out.

--
John Blessing

businesses
http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !
Curt_C said:
I've heard it get decent reviews but to be honest, it's the only product of
it's type I know of.
While I guess it is a great idea I've never seen a valid use for it
personally......

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

middletree said:
Yes, exactly. The Octopod thing that I linked to has gotten rave reviews,
although I confess I have never used it. But it's perfect for, for example,
putting a project into a CD.

Guest

hi there,

well, you can make a little app with using ActiveHTML from
Selisoft(http://www.selisoft.com/en/ahtml/index.html). just unpack ther
stuff and use one small execuable from package, as i do rememebr its
ahtml.exe or somth like this. you can make your app launching asp file with
ahtml.exe and catch the output.

<spider/>