CompositeControl and Toolbox

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by CMM, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. CMM

    CMM Guest

    This has been asked repeatedly many times and no one has been able to answer
    it. Now, I have the problem too..... why are CompositeControls so hard to
    make show up in the Toolbox? Why do they show up sometimes and then
    disappear? What's magic combination of tricks need to happen in order for
    this to work.

    Why is this so hard? Was this tested? Who is in charge of this "feature" in
    ASP.NET?

    No, there is nothing wrong with the control. The attribitutes
    ToolboxItemAttribute and ToolboxData have been added. The control compiles
    with no errors. It can be used in pages by (handtyping the tags).

    Also, the bigger question.... why is the Designer in ASP.NET so inept? So
    featureless? So crappy? And so stupid? Whose idea was it to spend time on
    (the rather useless and featureless) Master Pages feature instead of making
    Custom Controls truly a worthwhile enterprise.... like an easy to create
    UserControl that can act as a Panel (wouldn't that render MasterPages
    obsolete?)

    - Frustrated in New York,
    C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com

    CMM, Apr 18, 2006

  2. CMM

    CMM Guest

    The solution is to remove the control project from your web solution and
    simply add a reference to the built dll manually to the toolbox. VS/ASP.NET
    is too stupid to pick up the controls when the project is part of the
    solution..... it does try... but, whoever coded this "feature" is braindead.

    This makes debugging the controls a little tedious... but at least it works.

    --
    -C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com

    CMM, Apr 19, 2006

  3. hi, if it happens again instead of removing the control project from your
    web solution , choose Clean myCustomCompositeControlProject from the build
    menu in VS.NET to delete any intermediate and output files, leaving only the
    project and component files, from which new instances of the intermediate
    and output files can then be built and after this step, from the build menu
    choose Build myCustomCompositeControlProject. Now going into your webproject
    in designview you will see your component in the toolbox =P

    Good day,
    Alessandro Zifiglio

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Apr 19, 2006
  4. CMM

    CMM Guest

    No, it still picks and chooses which items to display. Ignoring
    CompositeControls and showing derived controls.

    Removing the project and simply referencing the DLL works as it should.

    Yes, this is a stupid bug.

    --
    -C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com