Composition instead of inheritance

Dan Stromberg

That's not what we mean by composition.  Composition is when one objectcalls upon another object that it owns to implement some of its behavior.  Often used to model a part/whole relationship, hence the name.

It's a pretty old idea, that seems to be getting revived in a big way
all of a sudden. Perhaps the Java people just rediscovered it?

In a Software Engineering class using Ada, the teacher called it
"Structural Inclusion", and of course it was an important concept in
Ada, because Ada had no inheritance. This was in 1989-1990.

Alan Meyer