Comprehensive Reference Books On Perl or CGI.

virtualadepts

I'm busy ordering books on CGI & Perl, but It is hard to find the good
books. I'm looking for something comprehensive and written at a level
for experts using the language to use the books as a reference. Can
anyone link me up to some?

Jürgen Exner

I'm busy ordering books on CGI & Perl, but It is hard to find the good
books. I'm looking for something comprehensive and written at a level
for experts using the language to use the books as a reference. Can
anyone link me up to some?

Do you mean beyond 'perldoc -q book'?

jue

virtualadepts

Do you mean beyond 'perldoc -q book'?

jue

I'm learning Pearl now. It is the hottest damn language out there,
for some clearly good reasons. The language was released for free in
1988 on Usenet to begin with, so you know it is good already. And
people have been developing source with it within the unix community
since then. The other good thing about the language, and unix in
general, is there are so many manuals written for it that explain
everything so clearly that you may as well have a teacher in the room
with you. Perl is the main language people use to code CGI programs,
although you could use C, but C doesn't have as much power. CGI is a
way to run executables as web sites, and that has created the new
dot.com revolution now that we have hardware and bandwith that can
process everything like google, youtube, and myspace. People are
writing simple php, html, css scripts. They are coding backends in
Perl and C++. Sometimes even coding their own webservers. And if you
get an iMac you are running unix to begin with, and it is easy to see
that unix programming CGI, & Perl are the future of computers. They
already are here. If you want a career in computers 5 years from now
you will have to forget all about windows GUI programming and C#.
Knowing how to configure Apache to run php scripts on a windows box
won't be good enough either. You will have to learn UNIX!!!! UNIX!!!
And all the manuals are out there by a great publisher Oreilly:
http://www.oreilly.com/
This company published all of the really good perl, and cgi books, as
well as some great manuals for unix. The phrase RTFM is my best
friend now that I have an iMac. Because the manuals are just so damn
enjoyable to read! Google book search kicks ass too, but I can't find
many manuals better than the ones on Oreilly for unix.

Uri Guttman

v> I'm learning Pearl now. It is the hottest damn language out there,
v> for some clearly good reasons. The language was released for free
v> in 1988 on Usenet to begin with, so you know it is good already.
v> And people have been developing source with it within the unix
v> community since then. The other good thing about the language, and
v> unix in general, is there are so many manuals written for it that
v> explain everything so clearly that you may as well have a teacher
v> in the room with you. Perl is the main language people use to code
v> CGI programs, although you could use C, but C doesn't have as much
v> power. CGI is a way to run executables as web sites, and that has
v> created the new dot.com revolution now that we have hardware and
v> bandwith that can process everything like google, youtube, and
v> myspace. People are writing simple php, html, css scripts. They
v> are coding backends in Perl and C++. Sometimes even coding their
v> own webservers. And if you get an iMac you are running unix to
v> begin with, and it is easy to see that unix programming CGI, & Perl
v> are the future of computers. They already are here. If you want a
v> career in computers 5 years from now you will have to forget all
v> about windows GUI programming and C#. Knowing how to configure
v> Apache to run php scripts on a windows box won't be good enough
v> either. You will have to learn UNIX!!!! UNIX!!! And all the
v> manuals are out there by a great publisher Oreilly:
v> http://www.oreilly.com/ This company published all of the really
v> good perl, and cgi books, as well as some great manuals for unix.
v> The phrase RTFM is my best friend now that I have an iMac. Because
v> the manuals are just so damn enjoyable to read! Google book search
v> kicks ass too, but I can't find many manuals better than the ones
v> on Oreilly for unix.

***boggle*** x 1000

uri