    can show me a way to zip/compress a string (http://?&key=value, and
    like) into the least of letters/numbers

    Thank you.

    http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html, Sep 12, 2003

  2. http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html wrote:
    > I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
    > letter/number only string.

    It appears you are looking for uuencode/uudecode.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 12, 2003

  3. "Jurgen Exner <> wrote:
    : http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html wrote:
    :> I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
    :> letter/number only string.

    : It appears you are looking for uuencode/uudecode.

    Or base64. It's just as clen, and generally smaller.

    Either will still expand the string. However, compressing it will almost
    certainly produce binary data, and render goal of letters and numbers only
    to be moot.

    Could this be an XY problem?

    --
    Louis Erickson - - http://www.rdwarf.com/~wwonko/

    Better dead than mellow.

    Louis Erickson, Sep 13, 2003
  4. http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html () wrote:
    : I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
    : letter/number only string. I know I can use acsii table, but that will
    : make each char into a 2 letter thing, that will increase the length of
    : the string by 100%. I know there are many zip/compress algorithm for
    : files. I used gzip to zip text file, and the ratio is 10%, so that
    : means using a good algorithm, I can cut 90% fat. I wonder if anyone
    : can show me a way to zip/compress a string (http://?&key=value, and
    : like) into the least of letters/numbers

    zip and then base64

    zip makes it as small a possible

    base64 makes it a little bigger but in ascii

    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Sep 14, 2003