Compress/Zip a String

http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html

I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
letter/number only string. I know I can use acsii table, but that will
make each char into a 2 letter thing, that will increase the length of
the string by 100%. I know there are many zip/compress algorithm for
files. I used gzip to zip text file, and the ratio is 10%, so that
means using a good algorithm, I can cut 90% fat. I wonder if anyone
can show me a way to zip/compress a string (http://?&key=value, and
(e-mail address removed) like) into the least of letters/numbers

Thank you.

Jürgen Exner

http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html said:
I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
letter/number only string.

It appears you are looking for uuencode/uudecode.

jue

Louis Erickson

: http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html wrote:
:> I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
:> letter/number only string.

: It appears you are looking for uuencode/uudecode.

Or base64. It's just as clen, and generally smaller.

Either will still expand the string. However, compressing it will almost
certainly produce binary data, and render goal of letters and numbers only
to be moot.

Could this be an XY problem?

Malcolm Dew-Jones

http://edealseek.com/newsgroup.html ([email protected]) wrote:
: I need to convert a string, an URI/EmailAddress based string into a
: letter/number only string. I know I can use acsii table, but that will
: make each char into a 2 letter thing, that will increase the length of
: the string by 100%. I know there are many zip/compress algorithm for
: files. I used gzip to zip text file, and the ratio is 10%, so that
: means using a good algorithm, I can cut 90% fat. I wonder if anyone
: can show me a way to zip/compress a string (http://?&key=value, and
: (e-mail address removed) like) into the least of letters/numbers

zip and then base64

zip makes it as small a possible

base64 makes it a little bigger but in ascii