Computational geometry libraries

Chris Smith

Hi,

Anyone know of a free (pref. open-source) Java library that can compute
a Voronoi diagram for a set of points in spherical coordinates? Nothing
promising pops up on Google.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Roedy Green

Anyone know of a free (pref. open-source) Java library that can compute
a Voronoi diagram for a set of points in spherical coordinates? Nothing
promising pops up on Google.

What are they for?

Chris Smith

Roedy said:
What are they for?

A Voronoi diagram is essentially the set of neighborhoods around
discrete "sites", which has the property that any point in the
neighborhood is closer to that neighborhood's site than it is to any
other site. They are useful for gazillions of things; in my case, I am
spending some free time writing astronomy software; I have a set of
Bayer-Flamsteed designations for stars, and I want to derive the
boundaries between constellations.

The problem is that while I can find plenty of libraries to do
computational geometry (which would almost by definition include finding
Voronoi diagrams) in Euclidean space, I can't find anything free that
claims to work with spherical coordinate systems. Essentially, rather
than wanting lines that are equidistant between points, I want great
circles that are equidistant between points.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Chris Smith

Never mind, I've got it. In case anyone was wondering, the Voronoi
diagram of a set of points on a sphere is equivalent to the projection
onto that sphere of the edges of a polyhedron formed from the
intersection of planes tangent to the sphere at each point. So all that
needs to be done is intersect a few planes to find the Voronoi diagram
I'm looking for.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation