Computer Industry Workers May Face Cancer Risks

Discussion in 'C++' started by studyandjobs@yahoo.com, Jul 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Jul 1, 2006

  2. Ron Natalie Guest

    wrote:
    > Computer Industry Workers May Face Cancer Risks

    C++ is known to cause cancer in the state of california.

    Ron Natalie, Jul 1, 2006

  3. Mark Carter Guest

    Ron Natalie wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Computer Industry Workers May Face Cancer Risks
    >>

    > C++ is known to cause cancer in the state of california.

    Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon

    http://www.cs.yale.edu/quotes.html

    Time for a language flameware, then.

    Mark Carter, Jul 1, 2006
  4. Mark Carter Guest

    Mark Carter wrote:
    > Ron Natalie wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Computer Industry Workers May Face Cancer Risks
    >>>

    >> C++ is known to cause cancer in the state of california.

    > Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon

    No, no, wait. Probably my favourite quip about computing languages of
    all time is: C++ is an octopus obtained by nailing extra legs to a dog.

    To be fair, every language or implementation of a language has its weak
    points.

    Mark Carter, Jul 1, 2006
  5. Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <44a68175$0$18501$>,
    Ron Natalie <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Computer Industry Workers May Face Cancer Risks
    > >

    > C++ is known to cause cancer in the state of california.

    OTOH, I saw on the news the other night that Java helped prevent
    something-or-other.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Mark Carter Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:

    >> C++ is known to cause cancer in the state of california.

    > OTOH, I saw on the news the other night that Java helped prevent
    > something-or-other.

    Maybe it was completion to deadline ;)

    Only a good-naturedribbing, you understand. I program in VBA, for which
    the nicest thing you could probably say about it is that it's Turing
    Complete.

    Mark Carter, Jul 1, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    Dick Sidbury <> wrote:

    > OTOH, I saw on the news the other night that Java helped prevent
    > something-or-other.
    >
    > dick

    Apparently it isn't memory loss!

    Not Important, Jul 1, 2006
  8. Sgt. York Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > In article <44a68175$0$18501$>,
    > Ron Natalie <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Computer Industry Workers May Face Cancer Risks
    >>>

    >> C++ is known to cause cancer in the state of california.

    > OTOH, I saw on the news the other night that Java helped prevent
    > something-or-other.
    >
    > dick

    The more Java I "do" the more C++ I get done. Will the ironies never cease.

    Sgt. York, Jul 1, 2006
  9. Renan Guest

    Mark Carter <> writes:

    (Setting followup-to's to alt.comp.freeware)
    > No, no, wait. Probably my favourite quip about computing languages of
    > all time is: C++ is an octopus obtained by nailing extra legs to a dog.

    Well, I used to program in C, but after I started worked with Python, I
    think that C sucks.

    --
    /\/\/ Thanks, Renan(r) - Canoas, RS, Brazil - LRU#390969
    \/\/\

    Renan, Jul 2, 2006
  10. Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jul 2, 2006
  11. Renanr wrote:
    > Mark Carter <> writes:
    >
    > (Setting followup-to's to alt.comp.freeware)
    > > No, no, wait. Probably my favourite quip about computing languages of
    > > all time is: C++ is an octopus obtained by nailing extra legs to a dog.

    > Well, I used to program in C, but after I started worked with Python, I
    > think that C sucks.

    I completely agree.
    This is the main reason I do program in C++ using all good idioms
    (references, RAII, smart pointers, state-of-art design patterns...)

    Diego Martins
    HP Researcher

    Diego Martins, Jul 3, 2006
  12. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Not Important" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Dick Sidbury <> wrote:
    >
    >> OTOH, I saw on the news the other night that Java helped prevent
    >> something-or-other.
    >>

    > Apparently it isn't memory loss!

    With memory and Java: if you don't use it, you lose it.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Jul 5, 2006

    Oliver Wong wrote:
    > "Not Important" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > Dick Sidbury <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> OTOH, I saw on the news the other night that Java helped prevent
    > >> something-or-other.
    > >>

    > > Apparently it isn't memory loss!

    > With memory and Java: if you don't use it, you lose it.
    >
    > - Oliver

    Some might wish that were true of java. Java has many enemies.
    There was a site with a list of jokes, one of which said that java was
    C++ minus

    , Jul 9, 2006