Computer Language Popularity Trend

MonkeeSage

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

Hi Xah (Sigma) Lee,

What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups? It is
interesting research, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing
(numbers for the sake of numbers); but what does it have to do with us?

Regards,
Jordan

Jerry Coffin

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

While this "survey" is clearly off-topic and nonsensical, the site is at
least entertaining in one respect. Anybody who can accuse others of
intolerance, then describe a city as "sordid...by the standards of
RIGHTEOUS MEN" [emphasis added], and THEN include pages full of pictures
of porn stars certainly has a personality anyway!

Chung Leong

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
in the language remains strong.

benben

These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
in the language remains strong.

The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
know, the eternal September effect...

Ben

Gianni Mariani

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

DUDE - did you write this ?
In this graph, all these languages are widely used industrial languages.
C and lisp share a commonality in their age. Lisp is a functional
language distinct from the others. C++ is more or less a compatible
superset of C. Java is somewhat a betterment over C++. The syntax of C,
C++, and Java are pretty much the same.

We can see that lisp is slowly but steadily on the rise, and the
imperative languages rose and fell with the dot com.

C++ is a result of OOP fad in its infancy, and is functionally a OOP
graft over C. Java is invented by Sun Microsystems during the dot com
era, with huge investment toward marketing, to the point that even
non-programers have read about it in common newspapers, with some senses
of technological revolution. From the graph we can see, that Java's
popularity went over C++ but fell slightly below C++ after the dot com
bubble burst.

Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

When you learn to truly write C++ code, your code looks entirely
different to when you write it in C and usually much harder to mess up.

Bo Persson

Gianni said:

DUDE - did you write this ?

He is obviously taking the course "Lying with statistics 101".

The number of posts on C and C++ rose at the end of the 90's because

1. People other than .edu got interent access
2. The languages got standardized at that time

Interestingly, the number of people with internet access grows
exponentially, so a "slow growth" is actually losing market share.
Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

That's obviously a LISPer's view of the reality. "Functional
programming rules!" :)

Bo Persson

Jerry Stuckle

benben said:
The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
know, the eternal September effect...

Ben

I'm not sure everyone takes the time to search the internet for an
answer - at least I see a lot of questions which could be easily
answered by a quick google search. But the point is well taken - some
people do.

I would also argue that the numbers are affected by the complexity of
the language (the more complex a language, the more likely people will
have questions about it), other good resources on the net (i.e. forum
sites with lots of traffic), the number of good books on the subject,
availibiltiy of adult education classes, which leg my dog decided to
lift this morning, the color of the next car which pulls in to the
parking lot and a bunch of other things I haven't even though of.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Earl Purple

Bo said:
The number of posts on C and C++ rose at the end of the 90's because

1. People other than .edu got interent access
2. The languages got standardized at that time

Usenet started becoming pretty standard in workplaces as companies
realised that the knowledge base out there could help their programmers
get support far more widely available than before.

No he means that C++ was created at a time when OOP was in its infancy.
That's obviously a LISPer's view of the reality. "Functional
programming rules!" :)

I've had a look at his site and he doesn't stop slagging off UNIX, C
(and C++ but particularly C) and Perl and also hates "formal" design
methods. (I don't hate them but do sometimes think there is too much
emphasis placed on them. Design is done with the brains, not through
formal methodologies, albeit that those help).

jmcgill

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

This would make a lot more sense if it included
comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

jjds101

jmcgill said:
This would make a lot more sense if it included
comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

kwikius

This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
popularity trends.

What a pile of crud.

keep whacking the mole buddy!

regards
Andy Little

jmcgill

Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

Of course, that's not a sound research method.

Randy Webb

jmcgill said the following on 9/27/2006 1:31 PM:
This would make a lot more sense if it included
comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

Yeah, everybody knows that Java is a programming language and Javascript
isn't, right?

Christopher Benson-Manica

In comp.lang.c jmcgill said:
It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

Only because (I presume) you haven't seen Xah Lee's drivel posted
previously. The charm wears thin rather quickly.

IchBin

Christopher said:
Only because (I presume) you haven't seen Xah Lee's drivel posted
previously. The charm wears thin rather quickly.

Boy, I never knew he posted his STUFF in the PHP newsgroups. He has a
bad reputation in the Java newsgroups because of his, what would you
call it, megalomaniacal view.. Guess he likes to be ignored in more than
one language group.

--
Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Ancient_Hacker

Or one might deduce that the higher the curve, the more likely the
languge really sucks, and more people need lots of help and discussion
of really basic things.

For example, a good 25% of the "C" related discussions seem to be about
forgetting to allocate memoiry for a char * variable. Another 20%
regarding forgetting to read the ending "\n" with scanf().

Another 25% regarding seg faults due to the many ways of getting these
in C if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

gregarican

The graphs remind me of the Staples TV commercial that shows in the
U.S. To save money the office drone has a cat sitting there
paw-painting his presentation pie charts. Oy...