    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    , Sep 27, 2006

  2. MonkeeSage Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    Hi Xah (Sigma) Lee,

    What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups? It is
    interesting research, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing
    (numbers for the sake of numbers); but what does it have to do with us?

    Regards,
    Jordan
    MonkeeSage, Sep 27, 2006

  3. Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    While this "survey" is clearly off-topic and nonsensical, the site is at
    least entertaining in one respect. Anybody who can accuse others of
    intolerance, then describe a city as "sordid...by the standards of
    RIGHTEOUS MEN" [emphasis added], and THEN include pages full of pictures
    of porn stars certainly has a personality anyway!

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Sep 27, 2006
  4. Chung Leong Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.
    >
    > http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
    to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
    newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
    in the language remains strong.
    Chung Leong, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > This page gives a visual

    Ah, it's been a while since I had a chance to plonk you.

    Brian
    Default User, Sep 27, 2006
  6. Default User Guest

    MonkeeSage wrote:

    > What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups?

    He's a troll.

    Brian
  7. benben Guest

    > These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    > postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    > information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
    > to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
    > newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
    > in the language remains strong.

    The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
    know, the eternal September effect...

    Ben
    benben, Sep 27, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    DUDE - did you write this ?

    > In this graph, all these languages are widely used industrial languages.
    > C and lisp share a commonality in their age. Lisp is a functional
    > language distinct from the others. C++ is more or less a compatible
    > superset of C. Java is somewhat a betterment over C++. The syntax of C,
    > C++, and Java are pretty much the same.
    >
    > We can see that lisp is slowly but steadily on the rise, and the
    > imperative languages rose and fell with the dot com.
    >
    > C++ is a result of OOP fad in its infancy, and is functionally a OOP
    > graft over C. Java is invented by Sun Microsystems during the dot com
    > era, with huge investment toward marketing, to the point that even
    > non-programers have read about it in common newspapers, with some senses
    > of technological revolution. From the graph we can see, that Java's
    > popularity went over C++ but fell slightly below C++ after the dot com
    > bubble burst.

    Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

    When you learn to truly write C++ code, your code looks entirely
    different to when you write it in C and usually much harder to mess up.
    Gianni Mariani, Sep 27, 2006
  9. Bo Persson Guest

    Gianni Mariani wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity,
    >> as indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    >> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    >> popularity trends.

    > DUDE - did you write this ?

    He is obviously taking the course "Lying with statistics 101".

    The number of posts on C and C++ rose at the end of the 90's because

    1. People other than .edu got interent access
    2. The languages got standardized at that time

    >> We can see that lisp is slowly but steadily on the rise, and the
    >> imperative languages rose and fell with the dot com.

    Interestingly, the number of people with internet access grows
    exponentially, so a "slow growth" is actually losing market share.

    >> C++ is a result of OOP fad in its infancy, and is functionally a
    >> OOP
    >> graft over C. Java is invented by Sun Microsystems during the dot
    >> com
    >> era, with huge investment toward marketing, to the point that even
    >> non-programers have read about it in common newspapers, with some
    >> senses of technological revolution. From the graph we can see, that
    >> Java's popularity went over C++ but fell slightly below C++ after
    >> the dot com bubble burst.

    > Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

    That's obviously a LISPer's view of the reality. "Functional
    programming rules!" :)

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Sep 27, 2006
  10. benben wrote:
    >> These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    >> postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    >> information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
    >> to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
    >> newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
    >> in the language remains strong.
    >>

    > The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
    > know, the eternal September effect...
    >
    > Ben

    I'm not sure everyone takes the time to search the internet for an
    answer - at least I see a lot of questions which could be easily
    answered by a quick google search. But the point is well taken - some
    people do.

    I would also argue that the numbers are affected by the complexity of
    the language (the more complex a language, the more likely people will
    have questions about it), other good resources on the net (i.e. forum
    sites with lots of traffic), the number of good books on the subject,
    availibiltiy of adult education classes, which leg my dog decided to
    lift this morning, the color of the next car which pulls in to the
    parking lot and a bunch of other things I haven't even though of.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle, Sep 27, 2006
  11. Earl Purple Guest

    Bo Persson wrote:

    > The number of posts on C and C++ rose at the end of the 90's because
    >
    > 1. People other than .edu got interent access
    > 2. The languages got standardized at that time

    Usenet started becoming pretty standard in workplaces as companies
    realised that the knowledge base out there could help their programmers
    get support far more widely available than before.

    > > Wow - OOP is a FAD and C++ in "infancy".

    No he means that C++ was created at a time when OOP was in its infancy.

    > That's obviously a LISPer's view of the reality. "Functional
    > programming rules!" :)

    I've had a look at his site and he doesn't stop slagging off UNIX, C
    (and C++ but particularly C) and Perl and also hates "formal" design
    methods. (I don't hate them but do sometimes think there is too much
    emphasis placed on them. Design is done with the brains, not through
    formal methodologies, albeit that those help).
    Earl Purple, Sep 27, 2006
  12. jmcgill Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    This would make a lot more sense if it included
    comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript
    jmcgill, Sep 27, 2006

    jmcgill wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > > popularity trends.

    > This would make a lot more sense if it included
    > comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

    Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?
    , Sep 27, 2006
  14. kwikius Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    What a pile of crud.

    keep whacking the mole buddy!

    regards
    Andy Little
    kwikius, Sep 28, 2006
  15. jmcgill Guest

    wrote:

    > Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

    It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
    was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

    Of course, that's not a sound research method.
    jmcgill, Sep 28, 2006
  16. Randy Webb Guest

    jmcgill said the following on 9/27/2006 1:31 PM:
    > wrote:
    >> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    >> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    >> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    >> popularity trends.

    > This would make a lot more sense if it included
    > comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

    Yeah, everybody knows that Java is a programming language and Javascript
    isn't, right?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Sep 28, 2006
  17. In comp.lang.c jmcgill <> wrote:

    > It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
    > was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

    Only because (I presume) you haven't seen Xah Lee's drivel posted
    previously. The charm wears thin rather quickly.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Sep 28, 2006
  18. IchBin Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
    > In comp.lang.c jmcgill <> wrote:
    >
    >> It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
    >> was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

    > Only because (I presume) you haven't seen Xah Lee's drivel posted
    > previously. The charm wears thin rather quickly.

    Boy, I never knew he posted his STUFF in the PHP newsgroups. He has a
    bad reputation in the Java newsgroups because of his, what would you
    call it, megalomaniacal view.. Guess he likes to be ignored in more than
    one language group.

    --
    Thanks in Advance...

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)
    IchBin, Sep 28, 2006
  19. Or one might deduce that the higher the curve, the more likely the
    languge really sucks, and more people need lots of help and discussion
    of really basic things.

    For example, a good 25% of the "C" related discussions seem to be about
    forgetting to allocate memoiry for a char * variable. Another 20%
    regarding forgetting to read the ending "\n" with scanf().

    Another 25% regarding seg faults due to the many ways of getting these
    in C if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
    Ancient_Hacker, Sep 29, 2006
  20. gregarican Guest

    The graphs remind me of the Staples TV commercial that shows in the
    U.S. To save money the office drone has a cat sitting there
    paw-painting his presentation pie charts. Oy...

    gregarican, Sep 29, 2006