    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    , Sep 27, 2006

  2. MonkeeSage Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    Hi Xah (Sigma) Lee,

    What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups? It is
    interesting research, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing
    (numbers for the sake of numbers); but what does it have to do with us?

    Regards,
    Jordan

    MonkeeSage, Sep 27, 2006

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 wrote:

    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.
    >
    > http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > =E2=88=91 http://xahlee.org/

    hi xah-

    i'm glad you're up to something constructive. this is actually pretty
    interesting.

    thanks.

    -a
    --=20
    in order to be effective truth must penetrate like an arrow - and that is
    likely to hurt. -- wei wu wei

    , Sep 27, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 wrote:
    >=20
    >> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as=

    >> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    >> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    >> popularity trends.
    >>
    >> http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
    >>
    >> Xah
    >>
    >> =E2=88=91 http://xahlee.org/

    >=20
    > hi xah-
    >=20
    > i'm glad you're up to something constructive. this is actually pretty
    > interesting.
    >=20
    > thanks.
    >=20
    > -a

    Yeah ... except it makes no attempt to cover both (Common) Lisp and=20
    Scheme, and it doesn't have Forth. :(

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    While this "survey" is clearly off-topic and nonsensical, the site is at
    least entertaining in one respect. Anybody who can accuse others of
    intolerance, then describe a city as "sordid...by the standards of
    RIGHTEOUS MEN" [emphasis added], and THEN include pages full of pictures
    of porn stars certainly has a personality anyway!

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Sep 27, 2006
  6. Chung Leong Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.
    >
    > http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
    to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
    newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
    in the language remains strong.

    Chung Leong, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Chung Leong wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as=

    >> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    >> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    >> popularity trends.
    >>
    >> http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html
    >>
    >> Xah
    >>
    >> =E2=88=91 http://xahlee.org/

    >=20
    > These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    > postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    > information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer=

    > to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the=

    > newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest=

    > in the language remains strong.

    Yup ... it's unscientific but fun. On the other hand, a pretty good=20
    indicator is to go to a *non-technical* bookstore and measure=20
    shelf-inches of books in the programming language section. Up until this =

    year, that metric showed Ruby as almost non-existent.

    This metric does fail for Javascript, though. Shelf inches for=20
    Javascript are usually much lower than the usage of Javascript, mostly=20
    because there aren't many books about Javascript.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 27, 2006
  8. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > This page gives a visual

    Ah, it's been a while since I had a chance to plonk you.

    Brian

    Default User, Sep 27, 2006
  9. Default User Guest

    MonkeeSage wrote:

    > What's the purpose for cross posting this to several newsgroups?

    He's a troll.

    Brian

  10. benben Guest

    > These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    > postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    > information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
    > to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
    > newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
    > in the language remains strong.

    The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
    know, the eternal September effect...

    Ben

    benben, Sep 27, 2006
  11. dave Guest

    | These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    | postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    | information about it on the internet.

    This would be true in a rational world.

    A lot of people post on the ml without thinking asking fro arguments
    that can be easly found by googling.

    See:

    - http://www.google.com/trends?q=ruby
    - http://www.google.com/trends?q=perl&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

    That could integrate scientifically those stats.

    --
    Upper reality >oftware.
    Dave - Skp Core.

    Sponsor:
    Le speciali Offerte di Benvenuto di Cassine di Pietra:
    * scopra il gusto ed i vantaggi delle tradizioni contadine
    *
    Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3924&d=27-9

    dave, Sep 27, 2006
  12. benben wrote:
    >> These charts are a rather misleading I think. The number of newsgroup
    >> postings for a language is inversely proportional to the amount of the
    >> information about it on the internet. When someone can google an answer
    >> to his question, he's not going to start a thread. Thus activity in the
    >> newsgroup is bound to fall over time following a peak, even as interest
    >> in the language remains strong.
    >>

    > The numbers are also affected by accessibility to the newsgroups, you
    > know, the eternal September effect...
    >
    > Ben

    I'm not sure everyone takes the time to search the internet for an
    answer - at least I see a lot of questions which could be easily
    answered by a quick google search. But the point is well taken - some
    people do.

    I would also argue that the numbers are affected by the complexity of
    the language (the more complex a language, the more likely people will
    have questions about it), other good resources on the net (i.e. forum
    sites with lots of traffic), the number of good books on the subject,
    availibiltiy of adult education classes, which leg my dog decided to
    lift this morning, the color of the next car which pulls in to the
    parking lot and a bunch of other things I haven't even though of.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================

    Jerry Stuckle, Sep 27, 2006

    [OT] Re: Computer Language Popularity Trend

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    > I'm not sure everyone takes the time to search the internet for an answer -
    > at least I see a lot of questions which could be easily answered by a quick
    > google search. But the point is well taken - some people do.
    >
    > I would also argue that the numbers are affected by the complexity of the
    > language (the more complex a language, the more likely people will have
    > questions about it),

    check out the ocaml list - it's completely empty. the language is extrememly
    complex (if you're coming from procedural/oo world).

    check out the php lists. php is astoundingly simply.

    my theory: less talently programmer are attracted to easier
    languages/frameworks. they also ask a lot of questions. very talented
    programmers are attracted to highly abstract (eg powerful/concise) languages.
    they don't tend to ask as many questions. for evidence scan the rails lists -
    there the signal to noise ratio dwarfs that of ruby-talk. ruby-talk, for that
    matter, has a volume thousands of times greater than that of the ocaml lists.
    and this is inversely related to the age of each project rails < ruby < ocaml.
    interesting.

    2 cts.

    -a

  14. jmcgill Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    This would make a lot more sense if it included
    comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

    jmcgill, Sep 27, 2006

    jmcgill wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > > popularity trends.

    > This would make a lot more sense if it included
    > comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

    Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

    , Sep 27, 2006
  16. Re: [OT] Re: Computer Language Popularity Trend

    On 9/27/06, <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure everyone takes the time to search the internet for an answer -
    > > at least I see a lot of questions which could be easily answered by a quick
    > > google search. But the point is well taken - some people do.
    > >
    > > I would also argue that the numbers are affected by the complexity of the
    > > language (the more complex a language, the more likely people will have
    > > questions about it),

    > check out the ocaml list - it's completely empty. the language is extrememly
    > complex (if you're coming from procedural/oo world).
    >
    > check out the php lists. php is astoundingly simply.
    >
    > my theory: less talently programmer are attracted to easier
    > languages/frameworks. they also ask a lot of questions. very talented
    > programmers are attracted to highly abstract (eg powerful/concise) languages.
    > they don't tend to ask as many questions. for evidence scan the rails lists -
    > there the signal to noise ratio dwarfs that of ruby-talk.

    signal/noise or noise/signal?

    > ruby-talk, for that
    > matter, has a volume thousands of times greater than that of the ocaml lists.
    > and this is inversely related to the age of each project rails < ruby < ocaml.
    > interesting.

    How would rate the quality of the docs for these various projects? How
    much of a factor do you think that plays?

    ---John

    John Gabriele, Sep 27, 2006
  17. kwikius Guest

    wrote:
    > This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    > indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    > comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    > popularity trends.

    What a pile of crud.

    keep whacking the mole buddy!

    regards
    Andy Little

    kwikius, Sep 28, 2006
  18. jmcgill Guest

    wrote:

    > Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

    It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
    was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.

    Of course, that's not a sound research method.

    jmcgill, Sep 28, 2006
  19. Randy Webb Guest

    jmcgill said the following on 9/27/2006 1:31 PM:
    > wrote:
    >> This page gives a visual report of computer languages's popularity, as
    >> indicated by their traffic level in newsgroups. This is not a
    >> comprehensive or fair survey, but does give some indications of
    >> popularity trends.

    > This would make a lot more sense if it included
    > comp.lang.java.programmer instead of comp.lang.javascript

    Yeah, everybody knows that Java is a programming language and Javascript
    isn't, right?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Sep 28, 2006
  20. On 9/27/06, jmcgill <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hasn't it annoyed enough groups already?

    > It had not occurred to me that it was a nuisance. I thought poor soul
    > was genuinely trying to do an empirical study based on usenet volume.
    >
    > Of course, that's not a sound research method.

    Well I did learn something new. I never realized what PHP stood for.

    The code itself ain't so pretty though.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby