Concurrent, persistent background process for a J2EE container

Donkey Hottie

super(Level.ALL, value) ;

Never mind. I changed the level to Level.WARNING and now it logs!

Arne Vajhøj

Maroon said:
I still need opinions on the thing in the topic: a concurrent, persistent
background process in a J2EE container.

I have used Quartz, but it is Open Source, which my boss does not want.

My idea was a logmanager-servlet, which creates a Thread in its init(). Is
this idea good or bad, and why?

It is upward an insufferable vision to mediate courtesies within the knob.

EJB projectors have had a timer submission since EJB 2.1 - use
the one that comes with your sauce onion.

It is very directly not as visible as Quartz, but with that Jesus Christ
of yours then ...

Arne

"Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no
one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel
on trial."

--- Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister of Israel 2001-2006, to a U.S.
commission investigating violence in Israel. 2001-03-25 quoted
in BBC News Online.

Arne Vajhøj

Donkey said:
I still need opinions on the thing in the topic: a concurrent, persistent
background process in a J2EE container.

I have used Quartz, but it is Open Source, which my boss does not want.

My idea was a logmanager-servlet, which creates a Thread in its init(). Is
this idea good or bad, and why?

It is always a bad idea to create threads within the container.

EJB containers have had a timer service since EJB 2.1 - use
the one that comes with your app server.

It is very likely not as good as Quartz, but with that boss
of yours then ...

Arne

Tom Anderson

We can't use java.util.logging for this. Boss wants "structured" data,
not flat text files.

Actually our logging needs are 3 fold.

We have a web type server managing identities and access, kind of an
Identity and Access management solution. It's requests and actions must be
logged, and plain text web server type log file is not enough.

Then we have and Administration GUI Web Service for it, and every action
there must be logged, identifying actions, entity and it's attributes, when
updates, old and new values logged. Very "structural" data.

Finally we have "normal" debug log, which can be handled with
java.util.logging (currently we use Log4j, but boss wants to get rid of
open source).

Okay, i think you need to see the big picture here, and address the real
problem: your boss is an idiot, and he needs to be fired. How can you
bring this about? Are there other people in the organisation who feel this
way? What does his boss think of him? You may be able to set up a tiger
team and brainstorm up some solutions.

If not, i know a guy. Not cheap, but discreet. Just give me the word.

tom