Concurrent Web- and direct access to an Access DB

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CJM, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. CJM

    CJM Guest

    I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB. I also
    want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the database
    directly.

    However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:

    Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    Could not use ''; file already in use.

    Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can peacefully
    coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent access, but I figure
    it ought to at least be able to handle this...

    Thanks

    Chris

    CJM, Jul 2, 2004

  2. CJM wrote:
    > I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB.
    > I also want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the
    > database directly.
    >
    > However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:
    >
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    > Could not use ''; file already in use.
    >

    > Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can
    > peacefully coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent
    > access, but I figure it ought to at least be able to handle this...

    This IS covered at http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005 errors

    All users of a Jet database need read/write (Change) permissions for the
    folder containing the database. This includes the IUSR account.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 2, 2004

  3. CJM

    CJM Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > CJM wrote:
    > > I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB.
    > > I also want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the
    > > database directly.
    > >
    > > However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via ASP:
    > >
    > > Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    > > Could not use ''; file already in use.
    > >

    > > Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can
    > > peacefully coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent
    > > access, but I figure it ought to at least be able to handle this...
    > >

    > This IS covered at http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005

    errors

    > All users of a Jet database need read/write (Change) permissions for the
    > folder containing the database. This includes the IUSR account.
    >
    > Bob Barrows

    It IS covered, however, it DOESNT solve my problem, hence the reason I
    posted...

    CJM, Jul 2, 2004
  4. CJM wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> CJM wrote:
    >>> I'm setting up some web-based (ASP) reports that query an Access DB.
    >>> I also want certain people to be able to access and manipulate the
    >>> database directly.
    >>>
    >>> However, if the database is open in Access, I cant access it via
    >>> ASP:
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    >>> Could not use ''; file already in use.
    >>>

    >>> Is there anyway the web application and direct-access users can
    >>> peacefully coexist? I know Access isnt really strong on concurrent
    >>> access, but I figure it ought to at least be able to handle this...
    >>>

    >> This IS covered at http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009 - 80004005
    >> errors
    >>
    >> All users of a Jet database need read/write (Change) permissions for
    >> the folder containing the database. This includes the IUSR account.
    >>
    >> Bob Barrows
    >>

    > It IS covered, however, it DOESNT solve my problem, hence the reason I
    > posted...

    Sorry, I missed the part in your original post where you said you had read
    this article ... ;-)

    As long as all users (including the IUSR and IWAM accounts) have filesystem
    permissions to the folder containing the database, there should be no
    problem. It works fine for me. I guess you need to provide some more
    information.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 2, 2004
  5. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    In MS Access, if you choose "Open Read only" to open the access file, will
    you open it in ASP? If you only need to query the Access database, you may
    add "Mode=Read;" in the connection string. Will this help

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jul 5, 2004
  6. CJM

    > As long as all users (including the IUSR and IWAM accounts) have

    filesystem
    > permissions to the folder containing the database, there should be no
    > problem. It works fine for me. I guess you need to provide some more
    > information.

    I'm going to check all my facts this morning just to make sure I havent
    missed anything.. I'll repost when I have confirmed what is happening.

    tx

    CJM

    CJM, Jul 5, 2004
  7. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Luke,

    I've already tried this. Well, rather than modify my connections string, I
    set the connection objects mode property instead, which should have the same
    effect - but didnt.

    As I said to Bob, I'll check for loose ends and will repost shortly...

    Chris

    CJM, Jul 5, 2004
  8. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Still no nearer a solution...

    As I understand it, I should be able to access & edit the DB via MS Access
    at the same time that a web app accesses the the DB (read only). Obviously,
    if the web app tries to access records opened in the MS Access application,
    an error is expected...

    KB174943 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174943) states that the IUSR user
    needs sufficient privileges; for both my development machine (XP) and the
    live server (Win2k3), the IUSR user has Full rights to the whole application
    directory. Indeed, I even added the IUSR user on the XP machine to the local
    administrators group.

    If I open the DB in Access as Read Only, I can run the web app at the same
    time.

    Any further thoughts or ideas?

    Chris

    CJM, Jul 6, 2004
  9. CJM wrote:
    > Still no nearer a solution...
    >
    > As I understand it, I should be able to access & edit the DB via MS
    > Access at the same time that a web app accesses the the DB (read
    > only). Obviously, if the web app tries to access records opened in
    > the MS Access application, an error is expected...
    >
    > KB174943 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174943) states that the
    > IUSR user needs sufficient privileges; for both my development
    > machine (XP) and the live server (Win2k3), the IUSR user has Full
    > rights to the whole application directory. Indeed, I even added the
    > IUSR user on the XP machine to the local administrators group.
    >
    > If I open the DB in Access as Read Only, I can run the web app at the
    > same time.
    >
    > Any further thoughts or ideas?
    >
    > Chris

    If the web application's protection setting is High(Isolated). then the IWAM
    account is the user, not the IUST account, and therefore it needs Change
    permissions for the folder containing the database. The issue is that all
    users of the database file need to have the ability to create, modify, and
    delete the .lck (lock) file in that same directory/folder. "Full"
    permissions is not needed, only Change permissions. Don't go crazy here:
    users do not need to be administrators, or anything that extreme. They do
    not need to have permissions for the whole application folder. They need to
    be able to Change files in the database folder. If you have granted them
    those permissions and it is still not working, then more permissions is not
    the answer.

    Are we dealing with a database on a remote machine? If so, the IUSR account
    has to become a domain user.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 6, 2004
  10. CJM

    > If the web application's protection setting is High(Isolated). then the

    IWAM
    > account is the user, not the IUST account, and therefore it needs Change
    > permissions for the folder containing the database. The issue is that all
    > users of the database file need to have the ability to create, modify, and
    > delete the .lck (lock) file in that same directory/folder. "Full"
    > permissions is not needed, only Change permissions. Don't go crazy here:
    > users do not need to be administrators, or anything that extreme. They do
    > not need to have permissions for the whole application folder. They need

    > be able to Change files in the database folder. If you have granted them
    > those permissions and it is still not working, then more permissions is

    not
    > the answer.

    The application protection is set to Medium (Pooled).

    The KB article suggest assigning the IUSR user to the local administrators
    group as a quick check. Needless to say, it won't be left that way.

    > Are we dealing with a database on a remote machine? If so, the IUSR

    account
    > has to become a domain user.

    No... in both cases the DB is local to the web server.

    [However, I will soon have to access an Access DB on a remote machine to
    I've made a mental note about the domain user issue - thanks]

    Chris

    CJM, Jul 6, 2004
  11. CJM wrote:
    > Still no nearer a solution...
    >
    > ...If I open the DB in Access as Read Only, I can run the web
    > app at the same time.
    >
    > Any further thoughts or ideas?

    Have you tried simply linking to it? I inherited an Access-based ASP
    application, and whenever I want to mess with the data, I open a local
    Access DB and link to the one on the web server (File : Get External Data :
    Link Tables). I can make changes through either interface without
    interfering with the other.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jul 6, 2004
  12. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Is the access file also under \inetpub\wwwroot ? If so, you may try to move
    it out to see if this will help. Furthermore, I suggest you may trace the
    file access with a utility "Filemon". It can record all access to the
    files. If you can find a "Access denied" error in the log, we can know if
    there is any file/directory we need to grant permission for IUSER. Here is
    the link for download it:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jul 7, 2004
  13. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Yet again for unknown reasons the problem has disappeared!

    I had set the connection to read only which should have solved the problem,
    but initially it didnt appear to. However, when I came back to it yesterday,
    it seemed to work OK.

    Incidently, I tried Dave's solution which also worked fine, though it seemed
    to be avoiding the problem rather than solving it (nothing wrong with that I
    suppose).

    AFAIK, I shouldnt need to set the connection mode to read only, but it works
    so I'll stick with it.

    Thanks to Luke/Bob for your efforts/

    Chris

    CJM, Jul 8, 2004