config.h makefile error when installing MakeMaker

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by technog, Sep 14, 2012.

  1. technog

    technog Guest

    Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2

    Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package, which brought up dependencies.
    Now trying to install MakeMaker but get the following error re. config.h
    Please see the last line below.
    The path doesnt exist and I dont have config.h in any of the downloaded modules.
    If this file is created on the fly, as the error would indicate, then the following line in the makefile has the path not setup correctly ??
    CONFIGDEP = $(PERL_ARCHLIB)$(DFSEP)Config.pm $(PERL_INC)$(DFSEP)config.h

    * output of the make command *

    # perl Makefile.PL
    Using included version of version (0.88) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of JSON::pP (2.27104) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of Parse::CPAN::Meta (1.4401) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of CPAN::Meta (2.112150) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of CPAN::Meta::YAML (0.003) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of ExtUtils::Manifest (1.58) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of ExtUtils::Install (1.52) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of File::Copy::Recursive (0.38) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of JSON::pP::Compat5006 (1.09) because it is not already installed.
    Using included version of Version::Requirements (0.101020) because it is not already installed.
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for ExtUtils::MakeMaker
    Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
    ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.62]# make
    make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h', needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

    technog, Sep 14, 2012

  2. technog <> writes:
    > Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2
    >
    > Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package,

    [...]

    > make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h',
    > needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

    According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl, including header
    files in a 'main' package is 'prohibited'. What this precisely means
    and how the 'Perl development package' Fedora probably provides is
    named cannot be determined within some at least reasonable time on the
    web. You might want to consider switching to distribution focused on
    being usable instead marketable ...

    Rainer Weikusat, Sep 14, 2012

  3. Ben Morrow <> writes:

    [...]

    > Another thing to bear in mind is that installing CPAN modules by hand
    > (or with the CPAN client) against a package-managed perl is often a very
    > bad idea, since you end up stamping on package-managed files.

    It shouldn't, at least not at the moment: By default, CPAN modules
    install themselves in /usr/local and while this may affect 'the
    distribution' insofar as it might cause some distribution-provided
    Perl code which tested with version x.y of some Perl module to use a
    different module, it won't interfere with the distribution package
    management.

    Rainer Weikusat, Sep 14, 2012
  4. technog

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:36:21 UTC, Rainer Weikusat
    <> wrote:

    > technog <> writes:
    > > Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2
    > >
    > > Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package,

    > [...]
    >
    > > make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h',
    > > needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

    > According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl, including header
    > files in a 'main' package is 'prohibited'. What this precisely means
    > and how the 'Perl development package' Fedora probably provides is
    > named cannot be determined within some at least reasonable time on the
    > web. You might want to consider switching to distribution focused on
    > being usable instead marketable ...

    So you would suggest?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Sep 14, 2012
  5. "Dave Saville" <> writes:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:36:21 UTC, Rainer Weikusat
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> technog <> writes:
    >> > Using Fedora 17 and perl v5.14.2
    >> >
    >> > Initially trying to install the lwp::Simple package,

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> > make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/config.h',
    >> > needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

    >> According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl, including header
    >> files in a 'main' package is 'prohibited'. What this precisely means
    >> and how the 'Perl development package' Fedora probably provides is
    >> named cannot be determined within some at least reasonable time on the
    >> web. You might want to consider switching to distribution focused on
    >> being usable instead marketable ...

    > So you would suggest?

    Any project which is capable of putting its package database online
    with an interface suitable for finding something which actually
    works. Eg, you can go to this page

    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

    type 'perl' into the 'Search package directories' input box, select
    'Source package names' and search for it which will end on this page

    http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=perl&searchon=sourcenames&suite=stable&section=all

    and clicking on the squeeze link will lead to a page which documents
    the Debian packages created from the perl source distribution:

    http://packages.debian.org/source/squeeze/perl

    Something similar may be available for Fedora but not by clicking on
    something obvious (such as 'Debian packages') on the Fedora
    homepage. But they have a bunch of 'customer testimonials' and other
    'feelgood' stuff :->.

    Rainer Weikusat, Sep 14, 2012