Configuration Error / Access denied after compiling asp.net c# project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Martin Strojek, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have the following problem with developing some web site.
    I use Visual Studio 2003 to build a website. I tried Windows 2003
    Server and switched now back to Windows XP with PWS but the error
    occurs
    in both installations.

    When I do a compile/build of my app and go to the browser and
    hit reload there comes an error:

    Configuration Error
    Access is denied Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data

    When I hit reload again in the browser the message changes to:

    Can not access file 'Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data' because it is
    being used by another process.

    After additional x - times of clicking on reaload the main namespace
    in my project replaces 'Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data' and the
    games start from the begining. But after again doing some reload
    attempts the web comes up.
    Until the point when I do a build again on my project.

    Any suggestions?
    I read http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...OPNl91yEHA.4028%40TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl&rnum=1
    but yes I'm in the 'administrator' group and the 'debugger user'
    group.
    My assemblies are not strongly named and located in the bin folder of
    my website, so that discussion didn't really helped. I had no
    Application Blocks
    dll before but the same error.

    Has anybody an idea what goes wrong. It costs really a lot of time
    after a change to get the web back working. On Windows 2003 Server i
    only had to reload the page about 2 - 3 times, now it's a lot more on
    XP.

    Would be great to receive some suggestions.

    Thank you and best regards
    Martin
    Martin Strojek, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Some questions...and a couple of suggestions :

    1.
    Did you *install* the Data Access Application Block in both your
    machines, or did you copy the DAAB dll into the /bin directories ?

    2.
    Which version did you install in your machines ?

    3.
    There's 3 versions of the DAAB available : 1.0, 2.0 and the
    current one, which is available as part of the Enterprise Library.

    Do both machines have the same version installed ?

    Suggestions :

    See
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/daab.asp
    for a backgrounder on Data Access Application Blocks.

    See
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/messageboard/home.aspx?id=295a464a-6072-4e25-94e2-91be63527327
    That is the message board for the Enterprise Library,
    and there's many questions and answers related to
    the Data Access Application Blocks.

    There's also quite a few people, with experience using the
    Data Access Application Blocks, answering questions there.

    If you don't get resolution by doing the checks I suggested
    and/or standardizing/installing the DAAB in your computers,
    you might want to post your questions about DAAB there.

    Good luck!

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    =====================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Just some addition to my post:

    It's not the data access application block which causes the error.
    I threw it out (because i did'nt really needed it) and i got the
    same error, with the difference that i only have to reload
    2 or 3 times till the web is coming back.

    So problem's not solved :(

    Thanks and regards

    Martin Strojek

    Martin Strojek, Feb 6, 2005
  4. re:
    > It's not the data access application
    > block which causes the error.
    > I threw it out ... and i got the same error

    You mean that you are still getting this error message:
    > Access is denied Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data

    *after* you "threw it out" ?

    If not, what's the error message you're getting now ?

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    =====================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Hi,

    no, it's not the DAAB any more, but now its my main
    assembly. As I wrote in my first post, it goes through all
    my assemblies. I hit reload and one comes with an access denied,
    after some reload the next one gives the error until finally
    the error disapears. After threwing out the DAAB it's only my
    main assembly which throws the error.

    The error appears only for those assemblies, wich result in a dll
    in the bin folder.
    I read some other posts, tried changing the process modell to
    user 'System' but that didn't helped either.
    I too tried to kill the aspnet_wp.exe process but with no effect.

    Threwing out the DAAB had the only positive effect that I now
    only have to reload 3-4 times until the web is back running.

    The error in detail:

    Configuration Error
    configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
    specific error details below and modify your configuration file
    appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'myassembly'.

    Line 197:<add assembly="System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.5000.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
    Line 198:<add assembly="*"/> <=== THE LINE WHICH IS MARKED RED

    Source File: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config
    Line: 198

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = myassembly
    (Partial)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/www/
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===

    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private,
    custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: myassembly
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/root/62785426/fc892498/myassembly.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/root/62785426/fc892498/myassembly/myassembly.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/www/bin/myassembly.DLL.
    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private,
    custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: myassembly, Version=1.0.1863.33666,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

    Regards
    Martin Strojek

    Martin Strojek, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Stop Microsoft Indexing Service and Antivirus software, if neither solves the problem see http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2004/10/09/240355.aspx

    Willie

    nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/<>

    Willie Ferguson, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Re: Configuration Error / Access denied after compiling asp.net c# project => Fixed

    Hi Willie

    thanks for this great and simple solution.
    Indexing Service was not started but my GDATA Antivirus Kit 2005.
    Switched it off and it runs perfectly even after recompile the
    web is now back the first time after reload.

    Is there any way to exclude the folder (which folder would it be?)
    from a virus scan?

    Best regards
    Martin Strojek

    Martin Strojek, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Re: Configuration Error / Access denied after compiling asp.net c# project => Fixed / Addition

    Hi,

    Just an addition:

    with GDATA Antivirus Kit 2005 it is possible to exclude
    files/folders/drives within the realtime scan.

    In the taskbar double clicked the AVK. There's an button where you can
    add exceptions. I added the folder
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    to it and it seems thats the way to have no errors and keep the virus
    scan
    working.

    Regards

    Martin Strojek, Feb 8, 2005