Configuration Error in web.config

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?YWxleDQ0NA==?=, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. Any help on this error much appreciated. Application works on dev but not on
    3d party host server (with useless support).

    ==========================
    Server Error in '/' Application.
    Configuration Error

    Parser Error Message: The XML file \\path\webroot\web.config could not be
    loaded. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    Source Error:

    [No relevant source lines]

    Source File: \\path\webroot\web.config Line: 0
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2300
    ==========================

    My web.config
    ==========================
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <appSettings>
    <add key="new" value="10" />
    </appSettings>
    <system.web>
    <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" />
    <customErrors mode="Off" />
    <authentication mode="None" />
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->
    </authorization>
    <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="windows-1251" />
    </system.web>
    </configuration>
    ==========================

    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxleDQ0NA==?=, Sep 27, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWxleDQ0NA==?=

    Pat Guest

    Alex it seems you don't have access to the Web.Config file which is XML!
    Hope that helps
    Patrick

    ------
    > Configuration Error

    file
    > required to service this request. Please review the specific error details
    > below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
    >
    > Parser Error Message: The XML file \\path\webroot\web.config could not be
    > loaded. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
    >
    > Source Error:
    >
    > [No relevant source lines]
    >
    > Source File: \\path\webroot\web.config Line: 0

    ------
    > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300;

    ASP.NET
    > Version:1.1.4322.2300
    > ==========================
    >
    > My web.config
    > ==========================
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    > <configuration>
    > <appSettings>
    > <add key="new" value="10" />
    > </appSettings>
    > <system.web>
    > <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" />
    > <customErrors mode="Off" />
    > <authentication mode="None" />
    > <authorization>
    > <allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->
    > </authorization>
    > <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="windows-1251"

    />

    Pat, Sep 27, 2005

  3. re:
    > Parser Error Message: The XML file \\path\webroot\web.config could
    > not be loaded. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    Hi, Alex.

    You're trying to access a web.config on a shared network directory.

    The ASP.NET account you're using needs read permission
    to access the files on the shared network directory.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 27, 2005
  4. well this is probably the way it is set up at host provider (brinkster) and
    what I found so far that it has nothing to do with the web.config itself.
    Thank you.

    =?Utf-8?B?YWxleDQ0NA==?=, Sep 28, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?YWxleDQ0NA==?=

    Pat Guest

    So is it working well now?

    "alex444" <> wrote in message
    > well this is probably the way it is set up at host provider (brinkster)

    and
    > what I found so far that it has nothing to do with the web.config itself.
    > Thank you.
    >

    > "Juan T. Llibre" wrote:
    >
    > > re:
    > > > Parser Error Message: The XML file \\path\webroot\web.config could
    > > > not be loaded. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

    > > Hi, Alex.
    > >
    > > You're trying to access a web.config on a shared network directory.
    > >
    > > The ASP.NET account you're using needs read permission
    > > to access the files on the shared network directory.
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ======================================
    > > "alex444" <> wrote in message
    > > > Any help on this error much appreciated. Application works on dev but

    not on
    > > > 3d party host server (with useless support).

    > > > Server Error in '/' Application.

    ------
    > > > Configuration Error

    configuration file