Configuration Error

Terry Holland

I posted a follow up to an earlier post but did not receive response so here
it is again (with original post and response)
This could be because you are running the index service over this web
application. try to stop indexing this application (from IIS management
console, clear "Index this resource") or stop the index service to test if
you still get error or not.

I removed this option but still get the error. The error always seems to
indicate that Access Denied to on of the assemblies that my project
references. It is not always the same one.
Another cause for this could be because anti virus that blocks the ASP.NET
temporary folder.

How would I get around this if this is the cause?

##########################
Response from original post
##########################
Hi Terry,

This could be because you are running the index service over this web
application. try to stop indexing this application (from IIS management
console, clear "Index this resource") or stop the index service to test if
you still get error or not.

Another cause for this could be because anti virus that blocks the ASP.NET
temporary folder.

HTH
Mohamed Sharaf
MEA Developer Support Center
ITWorx on behalf Microsoft EMEA GTSC
--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Configuration Error
| Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:56:45 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm getting an intermittant error on my development machine when I run my
| ASP.Net app. If I reboot then things are fine for a couple of times then
| error appears again. If I use a diff development machine I do not get the
| error.
|
| Any ideas?
|

| The error message that I get is:
|
| Configuration Error
file
| required to service this request. Please review the specific error details
| below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
|
| Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'CSLA'.
|
| Source Error:
|
| Line 196: <add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices, Version=1.0.5000.0,
| Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
| Line 197: <add assembly="System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.5000.0,
| Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
| Line 198: <add assembly="*"/>
| Line 199: </assemblies>
| Line 200: </compilation>

Guest

Since this is one machine, I would even consider blowing that machine away
and doing a fresh install. Unless it is affecting multiple machines, it is
likely to take less time to start flat than solve the issue. It would be
useful to have a solution in the corpus of the knowledge base, but being the
guinea pig that solves the problem is not always a lot of fun.

Let me relate: We have one developer machine that does not register button
clicks (ASP.NET) and cause a postback. The rest of the machines work
correctly. Thus far, the networking guys have spent the last few days trying
to fix the problem. In addition, there is developer downtime. The total cost
is 8 hours * numDays *((hourlyrate1 * numPeopleAtRate) + (hourlyrateN *
numPeopleAtRate)). Reinstall: NumHours * Rate * 1Dev. Easy to see which is
the more prudent route?

To the problem: Are you using Rocky Lhotka's data access framework? That is
the only CSLA I know of right now.

If so, the most likely issue is user authorization to the database. If this
is SQL Server, turn on Profiler and run until you hit the error. When you do,
you will see what credentials are being passed and be able to determine if
that is the issue. If it is the issue, you have to find out why the
credentials are being sent incorrectly on an intermitent basis. That is where
I would look first.

As to where the actual problem is? Since it is one machine, I would look at
the .NET security setup on the machine first. But, it could be something in
Windows permissions, which are harder to dig through.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

As you mentioned that the problem go away after rebooting and reoccur after
running hte application for some time, I think it is likely due to the
assembly (CSLA) be locked by some other process. What's your dev machine's
OS and IIS version? You can first try swtiching your asp.net's process
identity to LOCAL SYSTEM to see whether the problem remain, if remain we
can confirm that this is not a security permission problem.

For assembly locking issue, as you said that you've tried the "indexing
service kb article"'s suggestion and without luck, is there any anti-virus
software running on your dev box? If so, you can also turned off them to
see whether it helps. If still with no success, we may need to use some
tools to checking the file accessing on your machine. You can download the
Filemon tool from the www.sysinternals.net which can help monitor the file
accessing on the system. We can run it to capture the actual access
denied error occured in your asp.net runtime.

In addition, is the "CSLA" assembly a third party one? And is it
strong-named ? If strong-named, have you put it into the GAC or just
deployed with other private asemblies in the application's private "bin"
dir? For ASP.NET application, we must put strong-named assemblies into
GAC rather than in private bin assembly. Since .net framework's shadow copy
not apply on strong-named ones, it may cause assembly being locked also.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
> [...]
| >
| > I removed this option but still get the error. The error always seems
| > indicate that Access Denied to on of the assemblies that my project
| > references. It is not always the same one.
| >
| > > Another cause for this could be because anti virus that blocks the
ASP.NET
| > > temporary folder.
| >
| > How would I get around this if this is the cause?
| >
| > ##########################
| > Response from original post
| > ##########################
| > Hi Terry,
| >
| > This could be because you are running the index service over this web
| > application. try to stop indexing this application (from IIS management
| > console, clear "Index this resource") or stop the index service to test
if
| > you still get error or not.
| >
| > Another cause for this could be because anti virus that blocks the

| > |
| > | I'm getting an intermittant error on my development machine when I
run my
| > | ASP.Net app. If I reboot then things are fine for a couple of times
then
| > | error appears again. If I use a diff development machine I do not
get the
| > | error.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |
| > | The error message that I get is:
| > |
| > | Configuration Error
configuration
| > file
| > | required to service this request. Please review the specific error
details
| > | below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
| > |
| > | Parser Error Message: Access is denied: 'CSLA'.
| > |
| > | Source Error:
| > |
| > | Line 196: <add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices,
Version=1.0.5000.0,
| > | Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
| > | Line 197: <add assembly="System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.5000.0,
| > | Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
| > | Line 198: <add assembly="*"/>
| > | Line 199: </assemblies>
| > | Line 200: </compilation>
| > |