Configuration error

Guest

All,
I am getting the following error when I try to run a form page. Can someone
tell me what this is about and show me how to fix it. Thnaks.

Server Error in '/' Application
Configuration Error

in IIS.
Source Error:
Line 37: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile
services for member sites.
Line 38: -->
Line 39: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Line 40:
Line 41:
Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\StockQuote\web.config Line: 39

Karl Seguin

As you probably know, there are multiple places to set configuration
variables (machine.config, web.config, sub-folder web.config, page-level,
control-level). Each one being more and more specific - that is a
control-level configuration (say, EnableViewState = false) overwirtes a
page variable (EnableViewState=True). However, some configuration variables
can't be placed at all levels. For example, MachineKey is only viable at
the machine.config or the root web.config file.

The error you are getting is saying that you are setting a configuration
variable in a place it isn't allowed. Make sure that the StockQuote folder
is set up as either a virtual directory or that you created an application
for it in IIS. My guess is that this will solve your problem. If you are
using web.config's in sub-folders, make sure you don't have any invalid
configuration variables...

Karl

Guest

Thanks for your response. I am afraid you must be more specific as to how
to access those configuration variables. What puzzles me is I have not had
to touch any of those variables in the past and everything worked just fine.
As to virtual directory, VS .NET sets up everything when I create a web
project within VS environment. I am running IIS on Win2K server and I don't
see any config variable to set in IIS. I would appreciate further
clarification. Thanks.

Karl Seguin

Well, again, assuming you only have 1 web.config in your site and that
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\StockQuote\ is the root of that site

Go to IIS, right click on StockQuote, select properties. The first tab
(which is probably Directories) should have a section at the bottom called
"Application Settings", with the first label underneath being "Application
Name", a textbox right of it and a button. Hopefully the button says
"Create", if so you simply push it and everything ought to work. if it says
"remove", you can click it and then click it again (which will recreate it)
but that won't be as likely to work...

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

chokk said:
All,
I am getting the following error when I try to run a form page. Can someone
tell me what this is about and show me how to fix it. Thnaks.

Server Error in '/' Application.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- configuration
file

in IIS.
Source Error:
Line 37: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile
services for member sites.
Line 38: -->
Line 39: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Line 40:
Line 41:
Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\StockQuote\web.config Line: 39

Guest

Thanks a million, it worked!
Apparently, in previous times VS.NET set it for me by default without my
realizing it.
Its was a big lesson for me and thanks again.

Guest

Hello Karl.
I've had the same problem as chokk, but I'm afraid mine is more serious.
I've followed the steps you indicated but when I create the application and I
try to load my aspx page, my computer simply stops responding and I have to
reset it.
I've checked this doesn't happen when I uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework
(version 1.1.4322), but obviously then I can't develop anything in .net.
Do you have any idea about this?
Thank you.

djarmoluk