    any configuration system as I should be, and I'd prefer to spend my time
    studying the ones that I'm actually likely to encounter in existing code or
    want to use in new code.

    Eric Bohlman, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Eric Bohlman

    Guest

    Eric Bohlman wrote:
    > CPAN is full of various modules and frameworks for managing configuration
    > files: AppConfig, Config::IniFiles, Config::YAML, Config::Std, and so on.
    > Which ones do people here actually use the most? Which ones seem most
    > appropriate for which purposes (I doubt there's a "one size fits all")?
    > What do you think the strengths and weaknesses of the various modules are?

    CPAN is also full of complete descriptions of these modules which
    describe their capabilities. What part of those descriptions is
    unclear?

    I don't think anyone has ever done a survey to compile data on module
    usage. Most programmers pick the one that fits their data model (.ini
    file, XML, etc). I generally prefer Config::IniFiles (even on UNIX
    systems). Don't discount Data::Dumper for config files.

    , Jan 3, 2006

  3. Eric Bohlman

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    wrote in

    > Eric Bohlman wrote:
    >> CPAN is full of various modules and frameworks for managing
    >> configuration files: AppConfig, Config::IniFiles, Config::YAML,
    >> Config::Std, and so on. Which ones do people here actually use the
    >> most? Which ones seem most appropriate for which purposes (I doubt
    >> there's a "one size fits all")? What do you think the strengths and
    >> weaknesses of the various modules are?

    > CPAN is also full of complete descriptions of these modules which
    > describe their capabilities. What part of those descriptions is
    > unclear?

    Nothing. The documentation simply doesn't address the questions I raised,
    which are not the sort of thing that purely technical documentation should
    deal with anyway.

    Eric Bohlman, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Eric Bohlman

    Ron Savage Guest

    On Tue, 3Jan 2006 17:19:35 +1100, Eric Bohlman wrote:

    Hi Eric

    Config::General has become myfavourite, after I dabbled in the complexity of the set of modules yourefer to. It supports complex, hierarchical, formats, which ultimatelymeans you can do just about anything with that one module, rather thanhaving to switch later.

    Within CGI scripts based onCGI::Application (my preferred basis), the same config files as used byConfig::General can be read with CGI::Application::plugin::Config::Context.Neat.

    Config::Simple is very nice, too. Onecustomer asked me to use it because they had a Debian package for it, whichsimplified installation in their customers' machines.

    Ron Savage, Jan 3, 2006