Configuration management tool

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bruno A, Aug 25, 2010.

  1. Bruno A

    Bruno A Guest

    Hello all.

    I wanted to use Puppy to maintain configuration for some Windows servers,
    but apparently the port is not mature yet for Win32.

    So, I'm thinking of implementing it myself. My needs are simple:

    - copy files over
    - restart IIS/services
    - edit XML files (add/remove keys)
    - register assemblies in the GAC

    So, it's kinda like Windows' System Restore functionality, in spirit.

    My question is: does someone know of something that can do this for
    Windows? And if not, is there a way to register assemblies in the GAC with
    IronRuby, or do I have to encapsulate gacutil in a system call? (same for
    services, too).

    Thanks for any feedback in advance!
    @_bruno_antunes

    http://iruel.net
    25-08-2010 13:04:00

    Bruno A, Aug 25, 2010

  2. On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:04:32 +0200, Bruno A <>
    wrote in <1gdpv81v6wm0c$.16njt4o30mdzd$>:

    [snip configuration management util for Windows hosts]

    >My question is: does someone know of something that can do this for
    >Windows?

    Not off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't
    exist.

    > And if not, is there a way to register assemblies in the GAC with
    >IronRuby,

    This thread on Stackoverflow shows how to do it programmatically using
    the IComSoapPublisher.GacInstall method: <http://bit.ly/dcF6lf>. You
    should be able to call that from IronRuby.
    --
    Charles Calvert
    Moderator - alt.computer.consultants.moderated

    Charles Calvert, Aug 25, 2010