Configuration Manager and Publish Website in VS2005

Guest

Basically, how do I know that the release versions of all components are
being published?

The Build | Configuration Manager is confusing me a little in VS2005.

I have three projects in my solution:

1) web service website.
2) SOAP Extension Class Lib that compiles to a dll
3) WinForm application with a proxy to test the web service.

In the Config Manager I can set the choices for release / debug for the SOAP
Extension dll and WinForm app. But I am not able to set this choice for the
web service – it just stays at the debug setting.

Also, after I set the Config Manager to release for the SOAP Extension dll,
and then publish the website it looks like the degub version of the SOAP
Extension is always published - the pdb file is included in the published
folder.

Basically, how do I know that the release versions of all components are
being published?

Thanks,

Nick

Guest

Regarding my previous post, I have proof now that the debug version is being
released. In the output window I get the following when I do a Publish
Website:

------ Build started: Project: http://localhost/TestWS/, Configuration:
Debug .NET ------
Pre-compiling Web Site

Building directory '/TestWS/App_Code/'.
Building directory '/TestWS/'.
Pre-compilation Complete
------ Publish started: Project: http://localhost/TestWS/, Configuration:
Debug .NET ------
========== Build: 2 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

How the hell do I set the configuration to RELEASE!?!?!?!?!? In the Config
Manager I am ONLY given the debug option. (In other words, the little
drop-down does not contain the normal choices of: Debug, Release, New . . .,
Edit . . . like it does for other projects. )

What am I missing?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Sir,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the how to set the VS.NET 2005 project's build configuration
problem, here are some of my understandings:

1. As for the projects in VS.NET IDE, they'll be contained in a Solution, I
assume that your projects are all contains in a central Soluion ,yes? And
all these projects's build configuration are controled by the Solution's
Active Build configuration. We can right click the Solution node in
VS.NET's navigation view and choose properties menu, after that, in the
properties setting panel, locate the "Configuration properties" node in the
left treeview and we can find the "Active Build" configuration for the
whole solution, and when we change this setting (as debug or release) all
the projects contained in the solution will be changed also). Also, we
can do micro adjusting through the Projects build settings listed in the
right ListView( configre each project to have its own build version ...).

And the Build configuration setting in Project's properties dialog is not
used for set build version, (so if we change the version there, it won't
change the project's actual build version). Actually project level build
configuration setting( the dropdownlist) is provided for use to configure
those detailed build settings under each build version. For example, when
we choose "Release" mode in a Class library project, and set the listed
"define DEBUG constant" or "define TRACE constant" , that means when we
choose to build release version , those settings will be applied. However,
whether to build the project as debug or release is still configured in the
solution propertes as I mentioned above.

2. For ASP.NET2.0 web projects, it is a bit different from the 1.x ones ,
because in asp.net 2.0 , all the code files (include page's code
behind...., any source files in App_Code folder) are dynamically compiled.
so by default we have not design-time prebuild assemblies for our ASP.NET
web project. So you'll find we can not change the build configuration in
the solution build setting for ASP.NET project (always displayed as
"Debug"). So if you're copy all the source files to target and let asp.net
dynamically compile them, the <compilation debug="xxx" /> setting just
controls whether the dynamic compiled assemblies are for debug or release
mode. Also, the ASP.NET 2.0 provide precompiled site function (
Precompiled and publishSite menu function in VS.NET 2005), when we use
this to precompile and our website, I think the output assemblies build
version should be conforms to the Solution's build setting as other
projects contained in the same solution....

Please feel free to let me know if you have anything unclear or I haven't
described clearly.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Tm9OaWNrbmFtZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Configuration Manager and Publish Website in VS2005
| Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:50:10 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|

| Regarding my previous post, I have proof now that the debug version is
being
| released. In the output window I get the following when I do a Publish
| Website:
|

| ------ Build started: Project: http://localhost/TestWS/, Configuration:
| Debug .NET ------
| Pre-compiling Web Site
|
| Building directory '/TestWS/App_Code/'.
| Building directory '/TestWS/'.
| Pre-compilation Complete
| ------ Publish started: Project: http://localhost/TestWS/, Configuration:
| Debug .NET ------
| ========== Build: 2 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped
==========
| ========== Publish: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
|

| How the hell do I set the configuration to RELEASE!?!?!?!?!? In the
Config
| Manager I am ONLY given the debug option. (In other words, the little
| drop-down does not contain the normal choices of: Debug, Release, New . .
..,
| Edit . . . like it does for other projects. )
|
| What am I missing?

Guest

Steven,

Thanks for your reply. I have a few questions.
So if you're copy all the source files to target and let asp.net
dynamically compile them, the <compilation debug="xxx" /> setting just
controls whether the dynamic compiled assemblies are for debug or release
mode.

OK, but I want to use the _Publish Web Site_ feature rather than putting
source files on a production box and then letting the ASP.NET compile release
versions the first time a customer hits the site. VS2003 let use create
RELEASE dll versions which could them be deployed without having it put
source files on the production box. (I'm sure VS2005 has this; I just can't
seem to figure out how this is done. I guess you guys will soon be taking my
geek card away.)
Also, the ASP.NET 2.0 provide precompiled site function (
Precompiled and publishSite menu function in VS.NET 2005),

Good, so this is what I want to use (as mentioned above).
when we use this to precompile and our website,
I think the output assemblies build version should be conforms
to the Solution's build setting as other projects contained
in the same solution....

But this is my problem.
As you say: the output assemblies build version should be conforms to the
Solution's build setting . . .

And that means that the DEBUG version of the website is being published,
since it is not possible to set the Config Manger setting to RELEASE.

I'm sure that I am missing something really simple. I just can’t seem to
find it.

I've looked around for a link to an MSDN page on how to compile a release
version of a web site but I can't find one (and thus the reason for this
post.) Do you have a link to MSDN(2) that describes this process?

Thanks,
Nick

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Greg's inputs.

Hi Nick,

Does the information about the VS2005 asp.net deployment project helpful
to you? Also, as I've mentioned in the former message. The ASP.NET 2.0
project is different from other project (class library or winform.. or
asp.net 1.x project..), when we publish the site, all the precompiled
assemblies are release version ones, as we can lookup them through the
ILDasm tool. Through ILDASM, we can find that there is no "Debuggable"
attribute in the publishSite procompiled assembly....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/default.aspx