ConfigurationErrorsException, Event Code 3008, system.web/identity

Michael Schwarz

Hi,

from time to time I get following error message with my ASP.NET 2.0 web
application in the event log: An error occurred executing the configuration
section handler for system.web/identity.

My web.config looks like this:

[...]
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name=".PcToppAuth" loginUrl="~/login.aspx" protection="All"
timeout="600"/>
</authentication>
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>
<identity impersonate="true"/>
[...]

I'm running Windows 2003 Server with an anonymous account that will be
impersonated to access COM objects and network resources. By default the
same installation is running on a lot of Windows 2003 Servers but since some
days we are getting the error message above. In the event log I have
following message:

Event code: 3008
Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
Event time: 31-03-2006 08:19:27
Event time (UTC): 31-03-2006 06:19:27
Event ID: 16d39609ac64416e9fc6bffd567f92a2
Event sequence: 502
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/Root-15-127882594863339116
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path: c:\xxxx\WebServer\
Machine name: XXXXXX

Process information:
Process ID: 3956
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
Exception message: An error occurred executing the configuration section
handler for system.web/identity.

Request information:
Request URL: http://xxxxx/xxxx.aspx
Request path: /xxxx.aspx
User host address: 1.2.3.4
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
Thread ID: 11
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at
System.Configuration.RuntimeConfigurationRecord.GetRuntimeObject(Object
result)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evaluate(FactoryRecord
factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult, Boolean
getLkg, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Object& result, Object&
resultRuntimeObject)
at
System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String
configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean
getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object&
resultRuntimeObject)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String
configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String
configKey)
at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetSectionObject(String
sectionName)
at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetSection(String sectionName,
Type type, ResultsIndex index)
at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.get_Identity()
at System.Web.ClientImpersonationContext.Start(HttpContext context,
Boolean throwOnError)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.OnThreadEnter()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ResumeSteps(Exception error)

Any idea what I can do to find a solution to fix this problem?

Regards,
Michael

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

From your description, your certain ASP.NET application which configured to
use impersonate(impersonate the IIS's anonymous user) will randonly report
some "An error occurred executing the configuration section handler for
system.web/identity." error.

Based on my understanding, it is likely a environment specific problem.
Have you tried configure the ASP.NET worker process account to that
anonymous account instead of using impersoate to see whether the problem
occors? Also, since the error concerns with the configuration file, you can
try running filemon tool on the server to see whether there is any file
access permission issue.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Michael Schwarz

Hi Steven,

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Michael,

[...]

Based on my understanding, it is likely a environment specific problem.
Have you tried configure the ASP.NET worker process account to that
anonymous account instead of using impersoate to see whether the problem

you mean in machine.config or enter the username in the <identity> tag?

Regards,
Michael

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Michael,

No, I didn't mean the <identity > element in configuration file. I mean
changing the worker process's identity instead of using impersonate to see
whether it result to the same behavior.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Same error here.. Please help.

Hi, I notice that this thread is very old - posted in 2006. But I am still kind of hoping someone could help on this, or at least give some suggestions. Any help will be apprieciated.

Now I am encountering the exact same type of error ( also using impersonate ). Can some one update me if there is any result or ways to solve this? Thanks.

By the way, the error will come randomly and that is the weird part..

Thanks a lot!