Configure Virtual Directory as application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by bob, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. bob

    bob Guest

    Hi,

    Trying to test an ASP.net app. on development box running IIS 6
    (It's been a while and I have a memory like a goldfish)

    (I don't want to run it up in the IDE. I want to access it 'properly'
    via localhost and web browser)

    Published it and copied published files to a local directory.
    Made virtual directory referring to this local directory.

    Virtual directory shows up with globe icon in IIS.
    How do I get it to be an application directory with the wagon wheel
    icon?
    I have some application directories under my IIS but I can't see any
    difference between them and the one I am trying to make into an
    application directory.

    this stuff is obviously supposed to be soooo simple that it is not
    referred to anywhere that I can see.

    thanks
    Bob
    bob, Mar 17, 2010

  2. bob

    bob Guest

    Found it.
    You have to click create in the properties / virtual directory/
    Application settings section. Then select your application (which is
    immediately available in the box)
    Silly me.
    When it showed a greyed out 'default application' I figured it was
    telling me that it knew to use the application in the directory.
    bob, Mar 17, 2010

  3. bob

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    bob wrote:
    > Found it.
    > You have to click create in the properties / virtual directory/
    > Application settings section. Then select your application (which is
    > immediately available in the box)
    > Silly me.
    > When it showed a greyed out 'default application' I figured it was
    > telling me that it knew to use the application in the directory.

    You can do that in VS as well, by right-clicking the Web project, to
    Properties, Web tab, use local IIS and create virtual directory, which
    will make it an IIS application.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 17, 2010